What is your primary browser?

Firefox on my Mac, Safari on my iOS devices. (Terribly basic, I know.)

1 Like

Chrome on the Mac’s. FF 70% Chrome 20% Brave 10% on Windows 10.

I use Brave on Windows & iPadOS.

I use Safari on my Macs and iDevices - it’s there, it works well, it’s fast - I use Firefox on my Macs, iDevices, Linux machine and Windows 10 machine - fast, secure, cross platform

I exported passwords from chrome into bitwarden so I can use any browser. I still use chrome for gmail, youetube, and other Google stuff, but everything else I use Firefox on the PC, or Brave on the phone.
Firefox takes privacy more seriously then Google, but not ready to live Google free.
Ublock extension and running Pi Hole DNS at home keeps a lot of the crud away, and totally blacklisted facebook and twitter since my wife nor I use them.

I use Safari on all my Apples. Firefox on my Windows 10. I tried Chrome on my MBP but my fans were running all the time! So, I’m happy where I am.

Glad there is love for Firefox. I’ve been pleased since returning to it after years away.

1 Like

I’ve been using Firefox since 2002 when it was called Phoenix.

For me it’s always had the most customizable UI. Sure it’s pain to have to do that customization with userChrome.css starting with Quantum. But it still does everything I prefer in a browser UI and it has all but one of the extensions I used pre-Quantum. That would be TabGroups Manager. I know there are other managers now, but I don’t like them so I use various browsers to handle that for me.

On iOS I stick with Safari because there’s no way to change default apps so links always open in Safari.

So, I started this thread less than a month ago. After hearing all the hype about how Firefox is kicking butt and taking names, I just downloaded and I am trying out Firefox after being away for about a decade. I really like it so far. I’ll try and give an update in about a month, and let you all know where I am at.

2 Likes

Mostly I use Vivaldi as it is closest to the old Opera 12, but I use Firefox as my main backup, though also because of certain extensions.

1 Like

Firefox here too, across macOS, Linux, Windows and Android.

Long time chrome advocate just switched to Firefox for work + home desktop. Wasn’t as painful as I feared. Couple things I don’t like (detaching tabs to a new window, speed of somethings like Amazon product viewing, Search Text box is on the bottom now… keep forgetting)

Still on chrome on the pixel

Predominantly Chrome on the desktop, but have been using the Chromium version of Edge at work more due to the nicer integration with Active Directory. On the iPhone I have mainly been using Safari, but am giving Brave a try out.

You mean the CTRL-F find in page function, I suspect. Well if you hit a CTRL-F right now, as you’re viewing Discourse, you may well find it has managed to take over this function, and does something different (but closer to Chrome in location.) I mention this simply because I wonder if maybe there might be an extension to adapt this better to your liking… never thought to look for one before, but it seems like something customizable. Truth be told, I think I’d like a search implemented as a side bar with a “mini-map” of the page I was searching on… so I must go see if I can find something like that.

I’ve been a Chrome guy for years, but recently moved to Firefox. I like Chrome’s UX better in some ways, but I like the privacy features of Firefox.

This is not a search extension, but it does do the mini-map thing pretty well:

I do mean CTRL-F - but not in discourse, it’s different globally. I don’t have a major problem with it’s move, just noting that I’m getting used to it. Chrome’s page search was upper right, Firefox is lower left. Each has pros and cons - but not so much that I’d attempt to change it. I’m used to it now, so no worries.

I can’t get away from Chrome. I’d like to use Firefox but UI performance seems really poor compared to Chrome. My main issue is that I’m mostly using my 2013 MBP, and then when I plug it into my 4k monitor it really struggles haha. If Apple updates the kb on the 13" I may see about upgrading and then possibly do Firefox.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Have you tried a recent version of Firefox? Since they started rewriting the key parts of it in Rust it seems to have gotten pretty responsive to my experience. And it’s now just as multi-threaded as Chrome. If anything, I find Chrome goes crazy with threads and starts hogging memory and CPU and I have to regularly shut it down… while Firefox can run for days or weeks at a time and not have the same effect (granted I’m on Windows).

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot thanks. I have some applications that I use for work which basically output big spreadsheets worth of data and that had always killed Firefox while chrome can manage just fine.

1 Like