Brave Browser -- Gonna try it out more regularly thanks to Leo

I love that Leo has Brave as a sponsor. I’ve dabbled with it for a while. And now I’m going to try it as my personal browser for my personal stuff.

Thanks LEO

9 Likes

I have been for a few weeks, it is faster then Chrome…

1 Like

Sync feature not working for me…bookmarks specifically. Appears to be a known issue.

Just remember: Brave is Google…

Does Brave support Dns over Https? I see conflicting info online.

What does that mean? Leo states that Brave is de-googled.

1 Like

That’s like Facebook saying it doesn’t sell user data, as far as I’m concerned: technically accurate, but absurdly narrow to the point of myopia. Also, even if it’s completely not Google after all, commodifying attention rather than actual value through transactions it facilitates is I think a mistake on many levels, and would rather see the energy directed toward free and open-source projects like Mozilla.

I wasn’t aware there was a paid version of Brave. I was just wondering what you meant by ‘Brave is Google’.

Free, in this instance, meaning freedom (not lack of price-cost).

Chromium is open source. And as much as I personally am against Brave for ideological reasons, you can’t argue that Brave isn’t making use of open source as it’s based on Chromium.

1 Like

I didn’t; I even emphasized free. :wink:

Brave is Chromium, if that’s what you mean. Brave doesn’t automatically come with Google services and tracking baked in. Saying that “Brave is Google” is like saying that “Fire TV is Google.”

2 Likes

Fire TV lacks the degree of intimacy exposed from web history, but more importantly it’s over the long-term I exhort users and prospective users to be concerned. Surely there are other, better parents for the project idea of compensating attention, if it’s insisted that be implemented. For all I know, its being Google is the best parentage so that what I view to be a fairly bad idea will fail. shrug

1 Like

Brave is currrently helping to pay the bills so of course it is getting high marks. I remember not too long ago, Firefox was the recommended browser because of what Steve Gibson uses.

1 Like

I switched to Brave from Firefox a couple of weeks ago, and I’m loving it so far. They’ve done a nice job.

4 Likes

I haven’t found a way of putting the “Other bookmarks” menu in the bookmarks bar yet though. Chrome had that menu on the right hand side of the bookmarks bar.

1 Like

Well, my main computer is a Chromebox, so if I want to try Brave, it would have to be on my Windows laptop.

1 Like

You should be able to use the Brave Android app.

1 Like

When I go to the Play store and type in “Brave,” nothing comes up on my phone.

Even if there is an Android version, phone versions of a browser are never as good as the computer version, IMHO.

1 Like

Try this:

4 Likes