UPDATE: Power is back. We resume our shows at 10:30a Pacific tomorrow

What’s Up Leo
We are back up and running Yeah!!:sunglasses:
Our Beautiful Studio is on
IOS today is Playing
And I am So Happy
That Twit Power is Back👍

5 Likes

I’m so glad y’all are safe and that the TWiT stream is back up online; I really missed it. I missed watching all the new shows and can’t wait for you to be back live.

3 Likes

He lives just outside the town of Petaluma. I don’t think he has a generator, but he does have a roof full of solar panels.

1 Like

The long night is over!

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

I understand that there are states with corrupt laws forbidding you from having solar as a backup that’s connected to the grid, but what about a shadow electrical system with separate outlets and connections? May be overkill as a workaround tho.

2 Likes

PG&E’s Twitter feed says there’s a power shutdown Watch (which is less serious than a Warning) for the North Bay area on Wednesday and Thursday. I take that to mean that it’s a slight possibility rather than a certainty. Underlines what Leo said about the risk not having passed.

Unfortunately I can’t access the detailed announcement because that part of their website

https://www.pgecurrents.com/2019/10/20/pge-monitoring-a-severe-wind-event-later-this-week-that-could-impact-parts-of-17-counties-across-northern-and-central-california/

is geoblocked outside the US, but that’s understandable if they need to reserve their bandwidth for customers in a crisis.

This is probably as good a moment as any to mention that for anyone outside the US wanting to see the scale of power outages, if not to the same level of detail as the PG&E outage map, https://poweroutage.us offers a per-state view of outages and numbers of customers affected.

2 Likes

My home area has been notified of potential shut-off. We’ll see what happens

outside the US you can follow outages here https://psps.ss.pge.com/ (see twits current address on the contact page)

2 Likes

It currently says no impact to the area (using the studio address). Did the studio get a hot tip?

I’ve seen comments on Twitter from people who say that they’ve been contacted by PG&E with warning of a shutoff, even though their address comes up as clear on that page, so it’s not 100% reliable. Plus we know from the last shutoff that the studio is right on the boundary between two power areas, so I don’t blame the team if they’re being proactive before the picture is totally clear. Latest info is that PG&E will be making the final decision about which areas to shut off in a bit over 5hrs (8am local) so nothing’s finalised yet.

1 Like

Since I’m not local to the area, I did not get the details of the final decision. Thanks for filling me in on that.

1 Like

This is as of 2ish hours ago. Petaluma is in Sonoma County

3 Likes

20 hours or so later - the studio still appears to be running.

Is there a chance of another event and/or outage?

EDIT: This answered part of my query. Wildfires in Sonoma County