Podcast app of choice

I like Pocket Casts though on Android using it. But it is on iOS

I use iTunes and I listen to them wt VLC media playerā€¦

Been through a few, but while I was on Windows Phone, Podcast Lounge was the best.
But Pocket Casts on Android. PC is really good, but sometimes unable to find certain podcasts or find them easily. Google Podcast on the other hand, is really good for searching for any podcast using keywords. Just not liking the user interface of GP.
IOS wise, just use the default one.

Tried the Podcasts app on iPad but didnā€™t like the UI much. As my phone is Android and I prefer using a pocketable device to play podcasts, I tried many of the players on that platform before settling on Podcast Republic, which I found to be the most flexible and configurable. Unfortunately the settings can be confusing, but this is compensated by an excellent set of of FAQs built into the app, so it ended up being my player of choice. There doesnā€™t appear to be an iOS version of the app, unfortunately. The developer has been responsive to queries I sent.

Downcast on iPad and iPhone. I can control it with my Apple Watch too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a Downcast user for yearsā€¦while I donā€™t fear change, I just havenā€™t had a reason to leave it either!

I have noticed that when using either Apple maps or Google maps it sometimes doesnā€™t return to the podcast. Itā€™s a rare happening but if it gets worse, Iā€™m going to investigate some others. While itā€™s not a severe problem, it is annoying!

1 Like

OverCast. I switched around several times, but I always come back to OverCast.

2 Likes

I really like Pocket Casts, but I donā€™t use it. Hereā€™s why:

I maintain the feeds for TWiT and occasionally Iā€™ll have to test some change that Iā€™ve made to the feed generation. With Downcast (on iOS), I can easily refresh the feed and see any changes Iā€™ve made instantly. Thatā€™s very helpful to know if itā€™s working or if I went and broke everything. (I donā€™t actually break everything, but I like to make sure my streak continues.) Pocket Casts and Apple Podcasts donā€™t actually show updates to feeds immediately, so Iā€™m often waiting until they clear their caches and refresh on their own. (This is especially true if all Iā€™m doing is updating the showā€™s album art.)

ā€¦so as a developer, I use Downcast. If I was anyone else, Iā€™d be using Pocket Casts.

1 Like

Been a long time Overcast user. Iā€™ve been thinking of trying the Apple podcast app, but itā€™s first iterations were terrible, so Iā€˜ve never gone back.

2 Likes

I use Pocket Cast. I have been using it for a few years now and like it because of the features plus it does video.

1 Like

I love Overcast. I think I first heard of it from Rene Ritchie on Macbreak Weekly some years ago.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using PocketCasts for years across iOS and Android. I really like the granular settings it gives to manage podcast downloads, sorting them into different playlists, or just automatically throwing the latest episodes from my favorite podcasts into my current listening queue.

For example, I have TWiT and The Tech Guy and DTNS (Daily Tech News Show) just go into my queue immediately when a new episode is available, but I have other tech-related podcasts go into a ā€œTechā€ playlist that I can manually peruse later. I also have ā€œComedyā€ and ā€œNewsā€ playlists for similarly related podcasts. I do wish the app could better communicate what episodes Iā€™ve downloaded and listened to, havenā€™t listened to, deleted, and ā€œarchived.ā€

I tried the Podcasts app for a while, and while it works for listening to podcasts and finding new podcasts, I find the interface a little confusing - especially when it comes to what happens when I make a station and add podcasts to those stations. Maybe I just need to use it more to better learn how to use this feature.

I personally do not use a podcast app. I like to go to Leoā€™s site, and just download several episodes of The Tech Guy. Then, I Listen to them on my phone using the Android music player called Pi.

I primarily use the podcast app built in. Iā€™ve tried a few other podcast apps, but the native one is the only one I can pick my phone up on break 4 hours into my shift and hit play from dock menu and not have to launch into an app.

I love Google podcasts, the only thing I wish it had is a queue and to be fair it has a really nice base for it already there the in progress podcasts tab could easily become a queue tab and then it would become my favorite podcast player

Add to it Google drive compatibility to save in the cloud to share your favorite podcast with family and friends plus YouTube or YT music integration for video podcasts, integration with Google keep to save clips, integration with Google docs to embed them, integration with Messages / RCS to send them as enbeded playable in app audio and with tasks to schedule them and Google would get the best podcast app ever

Pocketcasts. I just wish it would do a better job of transitioning from one podcast ending to a video podcast starting. For me the video is always black until I tap the screen. I want it to show the video automatically. Iā€™m on iOS, but I think itā€™s done the same thing on Android if I remember rightā€¦

I did try Apple Podcasts, but itā€™s so basic. Not for me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using the Apple Podcast app as well - working great

1 Like

Iā€™m the developer of Playapod so let me know what you think! And it does support automatic downloads. Cheers, Todd

3 Likes

Does Playapod do video?

1 Like

I use PocketCasts. I would use Overcast but I watch a lot of video pods.

2 Likes