What’s the best way to consume TWiT video on iPad?

I know there have been a few threads about pdcasting clients and the iOS TWiT video apps already, but my question is a little more specific:

> What’s the best way to consume TWiT video content in an iPad?

I use PocketCasts for all my audio podcasts, but I find it lacking for video. TWiT’s website is clunky for watching different videos on my iPad (and made worse busy 1Blocker). VLC on the desktop can subscribe to podcasts, but not on iOS (plus no pip). YouTube’s lowest acceleration is 1.25x, plus ads, no pip, plus garbage recommendations, plus ads…

• I’d like to “subscribe” to select TWiT podcasts, with option to stream or download (seems like a lot of clicking on TWiT.tv to find stream links!)
  • Easy navigation in playback — I love YouTube app’s gesture controls (because I cannot buy more LastPass, for example) :upside_down_face:
  • Playback speed with better options than 1.0x → 1.25x (too fast, I like 1.1-1.15x)
  • It would be nice to sync subscriptions or content between devices, but not needed.

Appreciate any recommendations or advice!

1 Like

I prefer the iOS podcast app - has all the requirements you listed with exception to playback speeds…only has 1/2x, 1x, 1.5x, and 2x.

1 Like

Well, thank you JohnG, but 1.5x is even worse than 1.25x, so that’s not going to work. Does Podcast app have gesture based controls? Not aware of that…

Downcast. Does everything you are asking for (and a lot more.)
Double tap screen to pause/resume
Swipe right to skip ads…I mean skip ahead (amount of time to skip is configurable)
Swipe left to back up
And yes you can sync content between devices IF YOU WANT TO. Don’t have to.

I find that downloading the HI video format is sufficient. HD version takes longer and really doesn’t look that much better.

2 Likes

Thanks much. I will give it a go. I agree on video. I usually stick with SD High, unless there are slides or a presentation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just use the iOS podcast app - I use it and it’s works great

So I’m stumped on how to enable PiP on Downcast. Is that possible? Also disappointing in the speed up/slowdown department, but if PIP is there I think it will work.

@ Computeforloot I’m happy you’re happy. I don’t think the Podcasts app meets a number of the criteria I mentioned. You are welcome to correct me, however.

1 Like

Picture in Picture using iPad? Just hit the home button and Downcast will go to a small window.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:
After not finding a button I turned off iPad to write that message.
Typically there is a button or UI element to activate PiP, in my defense. :wink:

What’s the issue with speed. What more do you want? .5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3

What I want is Something like a 10-15% increase, not 25% faster. Everyone has 1.25x. That gives me anxiety. PocketCasts and Overcast (for audio) and VLC allow this kind of finesse. 1.25X would be fine for occasional viewing, but much too fast to listen to Steve Gibson…

1 Like

What’s the issue with speed. What more do you want? .5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3
Just read your original post again. 1.1x…does any player do that?

Yes, VLC and PocketCasts both allow you to accelerate video in 0.1 increments. VLC might allow even more control, and slower too.

If PocketCasts had gestures I wouldn’t be asking this question. It’s just that YouTube app’s UI spoiled me.

Thanks for this question. Need a solution for iPad. Don’t care about speed. Several times have used a split screen on my iPad 3 gen. Can not do split screen reliably. Does anyone know how to do split screen?

Thanks, my suggestion was because I use the iOS app and it does everything I need…when I looked at your 4 bullets the only thing I saw that would be an issue for you was the speed - hope you found something that will do the trick for you :+1:t2:

1 Like

I would have to agree that the iOS podcast app is pretty good for video podcasts. I am not an Apple fanboy by any means but I do like some of their native apps. They are “vanilla” but sometimes we all like that basic flavor