Just installed 1909

I just installed Windows 10 1909 on one of my PCs. It’s apparently so light that it doesn’t even count against the install date of Windows.
Windows1909

2 Likes

Going to install it tonight. I hadn’t even noticed that upgrading changed the installation data before.

1 Like

Well so I just noticed the update history, so I guess this sort of makes sense:
WindowsUpdateHistory

2 Likes

Glad to see it. These bi-annual OS overhaul-style updates are untenable imho.

1 Like

There was a cumulative update for 1903 and that took a heck of a lot longer than the feature update to 1909. Install date still says May for me, which is when 1903 was installed. Can’t remember if I did an upgrade or fresh install then.

1 Like

Near as I can tell is that 1909 is just a small download that relabels the exact version you just patched into the new version.

1 Like

I just installed it on a very old, very slow machine (a Dell E1405) and it installed super fast and works perfect.

2 Likes

That is the same experience I had.

3 Likes

I think 1903 update on my 2011 HP Probook (6465b) installed around 8/19. I did not think that 1903 would work on the old thing. I will be watching for 1909 to see if it works.

1 Like

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I have installed on a few machines, desktop, laptop and VMs. No problems so far and quick to install.

2 Likes

I was planning to wait much longer. But today I decided to test and just see on a spare extra Laptop that I just got it to Windows 10 that I plan to get rid of. It surprised me its barely nothing, its only takes a couple of minutes. It more just like a regular update. So I have updated all my machines to it, and all is fine.

2 Likes

I installed it back when it was offered to Release Preview insiders. It’s been running very well.

2 Likes

Updating now from 1809. Wizard is asking to remove VMware Workstation. This is not looking good.

Updating from 1809 would be like normal big feature update. From 1903 it is a small update.

1 Like

Updated from 1809. Like the icons, not the interface changes.

Re-installed VMware in the background, everything works again. :grinning:

1 Like

You’re right. It took at least an hour between starting the update and coming back from eating.

1 Like

The VMWare uninstall thing might be something to do with Windows Sandbox and wanting control of the hyper visor while it is Windows is being installed.

(Windows 10 Pro only I think)

1 Like

Makes sense, I have the Pro edition. I assumed based on the release notes it would be fixed by 1909 so I was unprepared.

1 Like

Well sometimes they make architectural changes that SHOULDN’T break correctly written software… but then some software in wide use is not correctly written. This was an issue for some anti-cheat software for example. (Where you can imagine why they might be less conforming than other software.) I could imagine that an old version of VMWare might be so affected and reinstalling a newer one would fix any known issue. Also, Microsoft has special routines for known problem software, known as a compatibility layer or something, and that usually is applied and activated during install.

1 Like