Just installed 1909

So there is one change in 1909 that people may not be aware of. If you do a fresh install, and you have a network available, you will be “forced” to use (or create) a Microsoft Account and link it up. The work around is to go offline (for wired networks unplug the cable.) I just did a fresh install of 1909 into a virtual machine and Windows is particularly passive aggressive about this… note you have to select “Continue with limited setup” to use a local account.

2 Likes

Just put 1909 on my desktop. It was small, took all of 4 minutes to install, restart twice, good to go.
Desktop win10 home. One I built 4 years ago.
Got 1909 on my 8 year old HP Pro, win10 Pro in six minutes, runs very good.

1 Like

Actually it was like this also with a version 1903 fresh install you have to unplug from the internet and select “Continue with limited setup” to setup a local account. Microsoft has been getting more forceful in getting you to do a MS account, the options have been gradually going away, even before version 1903 they have been making it harder during a clean install.

1 Like

Hmm well I recall doing 1903 fresh installs and not having this problem… so now I am confused. I will have to go do another one, I guess.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yep, we had that problem as well. You need the current version. We had 14, which upgraded to 1903, but stopped working in September. A colleague has 12 and that won’t let us upgrade to 1903 or 1909.

1 Like

Working in a virtual machine running 1903 that was fully patched and downloading 1909 it prompted me with a message that it thought I should adjust my active hours. I’ve never had this experience before on any other machine, all of which I keep set to the same active hours. Has anyone else ever encounter this message? Does anyone know when this “feature” got added to Windows? I went looking in the settings and found the following (picture) which I also have never encountered before.

In Windows Update:
WindowsSuggestingChangingActiveHours2
I don’t see any obvious way to remove this “nag” either.

In the settings for Active Hours:

Unfortunately for Windows, I am not a predictable person, and no amount of it second guessing me is going to lead to particularly good results :wink: I keep it set to the maximum window it will allow, 16hrs, starting at 8am… just in case I ever become a “normie” :smiley:

1 Like

This is likely because you are working inside a virtual machine. When Windows detects that environment, it triggers power managment features inside the OS and applications.

I do not know your virtualization environment and/or platform, however, VMware’s recommendation includes installing VMware tools on the virtual machine.

Earlier versions of Windows had a way to track this and would adjust CPU usage and/or installations. Windows 10 adheres to activity tracking.

1 Like

VMware is known for issuing updates in these cases but I haven’t seen one yet. Of course, the version I’m running might be EOL.

1 Like

As a follow-up to this… I clicked the “Turn On” link and it turned the slider to on, and thus adjusted the hours to its recommendation. I then turned the slider off, and reset the hours to my chosen ones, and the nag went away. Not a trivial effort solution, but one that worked.

1 Like

I spotted that VMware had released a patch (14.8) for VMware Workstation Pro last week and I installed that directly on my 1909 PC and it works again!

So, anybody in VMware 14 and Windows 10 1903 or 1909 should install the patch or re-install (I did a full re-install).

3 Likes

I just did the 1909 install today - I do not use my Windows PC very often. It went to 73% for a long time - then 74%. It sat there for a LONG Time. I was starting to think it was stuck. But, it eventually finished…

That was probably the cumulative update. That took a while on my machine. I guess some users may have installed the cumulative update and the 1909 “upgrade” at the same time.

Yeah you most likely had other updates that built up since you don’t use that computer often. The 1909 feature update alone takes usually only about 5 minutes with being current on v1903. If you updated from a previous version(s) or got behind on cumulative updates it would take a while like that.

That is possible… I think it was other updates besides that 1909

The November cumulative update took a while on most of my machines. The 1909 took less than a minute on my desktop, around 3 minutes on my ThinkPad T480 and around 8 minutes on my Spectre X360 (Skylake).

The virtual machines at work didn’t take long, but there is practically nothing installed on them. Likewise the machines that got the 1909 update took between 2 and 8 minutes to reboot.

1 Like