WW 724: Maine Grapefruit

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Man, kudos for navigating and sense-making of the Windows 10 X news this week. Microsoft has become so rich and erratic that even throwing out “Teams as OS” makes about as much sense as anything else. It just wasn’t particularly convincing (to me) to say: “You really didn’t want Windows 10 X to release because they would have screwed it up.” There’s just too much dissonance between them being incredibly successful - just not in what they do. At least that’s what drove me away from Microsoft. The drama is what keeps me on the other side of the fence, looking on.

2 Likes

The problem is, what they announced Windows 10X would be, is exactly what Windows needs to be… 3 years later on and it seems that all the things it needs to be successful aren’t ready, and the rest is just like a Windows RT or S-mode revamp.

There is no point releasing it in an unfinished state, the question is, how much time do they really need to get it right?

What they need is as gui on top of Hyper-V with containers. What they produced, so far, is a cut back windows that can’t run windows software…

2 Likes

I REALLY wanted a hypervisor with a decent GUI. I didn’t think the Windows X UI was a good UI (seemed a little too simplified) but I would have been very interested to have a Microsoft version of CubesOS which was what I was hoping they were going to offer.

1 Like

another one bites the dust…

Having worked in a call center that used strange, old & rarely updated software…when I heard people speak of Teams and how amazing it was I was like yeah I’ll never use this. I downloaded it just to fool around it with it a bit myself but without having someone to communicate with the whole thing is pointless. Fast forward one year into the pandemic I’m no longer with said call center I’m working for a completely new contact center and we are all in on teams. I do agree a Team’s OS device is something I could see this company using. Cheap hardware they can mail to a new employee pre-provisioned for company use. They manage what is stored on device, and when the employee quits or is terminated they could easily brick the device until it’s returned and then start all over again.

I also enjoyed the short discussion email clients. I’m always looking for a new and interesting e-mail client. I love outlook for work but when trying to run it on my 6 year old Windows laptop, it’s a snails pace. Runs just fine on my 2019 Macbook Pro though. I know two different OS’s and two different code bases. Even the look and feel is different. That being said I’m always searching for something that is going to make managing my e-mail that much better.

1 Like

I mentioned Pegasus and The Bat!. Both are pretty old school. On Linux I use the equally old school Claws-Mail.

I’m not on Windows enough to set up one of these clients any more, so I just use Fastmail’s webmail interface. But for my workhorse machines (Mac and Linux) I need something that does PGP signing and reply templating. I do all my organization/filtering server-side with Sieve. That’s one of the reasons I prefer Fastmail.

2 Likes

My office was in the process of migrating from our on-premise PBX to Teams for our phone system. Disclaimer: We are a Microsoft partner, so our Teams licensing is included as part of our partnership. We just have to pay for the dial tone.
Needless to say, the pandemic accelerated the migration with our internal team moving to work from home. Its been working great for us.

The one thing I want Microsoft to do is give us a Windows 2000 service pack 5 which would include all the security and accessibility features of Windows 10… but the Windows 2000 operating system

They have, it is called Windows 10… Windows 10 is the Windows 2000 codebase 20 years later.

1 Like

Elements of the codebase are probably the same, but I thought Windows 2000 or Windows XP with the classic start menu and theme was better looking. Plus it didn’t have any of the cloud stuff

There are solutions for this, both paid and free. As far as back-porting anything, never going to happen. Microsoft made Windows 10 free because of the cloud stuff. There would be no money in them making a version of Windows without it. (Well they do actually make a version without it, but it’s the paid Enterprise version(s).)

1 Like