WW 643: XAML Islands Blah Blah Blah

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Started lists the show on the the way home and then Leo says most people are listening in the cars I’m one

2 Likes

I’m a car listener. I live in a rural setting in Southern Indiana, I work in Bloomington near Indiana University and I drive to small town called Springville, following all traffic laws its about a 45 minute commute each way. I don’t mind the drive but often times listen to my TWIT podcast during this time. While I would say I primarily consume the audio I do always choose to download the video feed of the podcast. I do this as I will often times if something is being discussed interest me pull off at a gas station or country store and open up my podcatcher and watch the video. I’ve done this more times than I can count. So while I’m an audio subscriber, I’m a video downloader if that makes any sense. Anyways keep up the great work @Leo and team. Love listening and watching to the hours of great content each week.

2 Likes

Windows, Windows, Windows I will only update the 09 as in the1809,1909,2009 or 20H2 that’s the best thing to do you will update once a year love the forum

@MaryJo in this episode, when talking about the Surface Laptop 3, you said “I think it’s just an average laptop.” Curious why you think that and what laptop(s) you consider above average.

I want to give out an un-gong, anti-Eeyore to @thurrott. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you so giddy about a Microsoft product as you were when talking about xCloud. It was refreshing.

I’m another one who listens to the shows during my commute. And with a commute just over two hours each way, you’ll never hear me complaining about the shows being too long. I’ve been listening to the network since probably 2006 or 2007, with Windows Weekly, TWiT, and All About Android being shows that I never miss.

Thanks to all who put in the time to make all of this great content.

1 Like

When we started the shows were much shorter, but nearly all of my shows have seemed to migrate to roughly two hours. I feel like that’s the most natural length. Anybody wish our shows were shorter?

3 Likes

Oh I remember them being much shorter, especially in those early years. Very happy with the format and length now, though. Thanks for all the years of making those commutes easier to deal with.

1 Like

They’re fine the way they are.

2 Likes

First of all Hello from Nice, France (I just joined the community).
I would say this, that applies to me but maybe others as well: I have a fixed amount of time to dedicate to podcasts (basically commute time). When I had a long commute time (until last month) I could listen to two podcasts (Windows Weekly and Security Now). Now I have a shorter one, and I’m forced to listen (regularly) to just one.
So in my view 1h would be better , but still I enjoy the relaxed pace of the current podcasts.

2 Likes

I am a WW fan from Denmark. I enjoy the show every week. I am often in the car listening to the show but also while doing other stuff. Like the length and format. Hope that you keep up the good work.

1 Like

@Leo No, please don’t make them shorter. One of the things I really like about the TWiT network is that hosts and guests are given as much time as they need to explore a subject in depth. For me, it’s the unique selling point of TWiT, compared to other podcasters.

What could be useful would be to add in the timing of sponsor breaks to the show info - if I’m embarking on a 1 hour journey and know there are ad breaks at 49 and 93 minutes, then I know I’ve got time to listen to the first break, and can pick it up again when I have another 45 minutes free. This should be possible using what my player calls “chapter marks” - here’s a screen capture of another podcast’s info, albeit with more info than I actually need, to show what I mean.

Edit: just caught up with TNW and it has timings for each segment in the description and chapter marks, so apologies for not noticing that before. I’d still like to see the ads in the timings, because they make a natural break if you need to plan when you need to pause the playback.

1 Like

I agree with the others @Leo, please do not shorten the shows. The expanded format is great for exploring tangents and buying blue suede computers. Some of my favorite segments are when @Leo is shopping and discussing the options with the other hosts; you discuss different options and specifications I would not normally consider when shopping for myself.

Also, thank you for having guest hosts continue the shows while you are away. So many other podcasts go offline when the regular hosts are away but TWiT shows can be trusted to be there every regular “working” week.

2 Likes

No <and the 20 character limit for a response is kind of a pain in the rump>

1 Like

The bricks story at the start of the show was hilarious.

3 Likes

The length is fine, as it never seems like shows are padding for length or rambling.

There truly is an art to keeping a conversation engaging and moving forward, which is something all of the shows here seem to do quite well.

3 Likes

No, they are perfect the way they are! Too much information to pack in to any shorter a period of time. Your guests and regular hosts provide a needed break and much-appreciated synopsis of what is going on in the tech world. :thinking:

2 Likes

Regarding Paul’s Tip #2 (the Dainslef Smartphone clamp for $10) - you can get a 3-pack of these from Amazon as well (Link) for $10.99. The company is Rngeo, but they look absolutely identical to the Dainslef one Paul suggested, down to even the kickstand and the alignment of the XBOX button cutout hole

The 3-pack is nice for families, or if you want extras in case you’re afraid of breaking one.

Absolutely not! I like the 2-hour length, subject to content of course. If a given episode lends itself to a shorter duration due to content or whatever, I’m fine with that. But don’t purposefully shorten the episode.

2 Likes