Windows Weekly (Wednesdays) General Discussion

A weekly look at all things Microsoft, including Windows, Office, Xbox, and more, from two of the foremost Windows watchers in the world, Paul Thurrott of Thurrott.com and Mary Jo Foley of All About Microsoft.

Records live every Wednesday at 2:00pm Eastern / 11:00am Pacific / 18:00 UTC.

Looking forward to Paul and Mary Jo’s take on the Surface event. I will be after a new laptop next year.

2 Likes

Me too. This is is my favorite show on the network, though the competition is stiff. Been using Microsoft’s mobile products since the Kin One (earlier if you count CE/Windows Mobile or Zune) and hoping for a true Courier-like product since that was first shown. Been a roller coaster ride with Andromeda and all the rumours of dual screen device. I wants it.

Where is Oct 2 show?

We’re recording it today due to the Microsoft event. 1p Pacific.

4 Likes

Oh Leo! I came to office today though I could work from home, just to listen to the Surface event coverage in WW. (I listen to podcasts in my car exclusively). Find reasons sometimes to go to the grocery store so that I can listen to the podcasts. :slight_smile:

Sigh. Will have to come to work tomorrow too - My wife’s gonna kill me.

1 Like

Where dose TWIT post changes to schedule?

TWiT.tv/schedule usually. We’ve never really treated the live schedule as important, because in theory these are podcasts and you can listen when you want.

But I’m starting to think live is pretty important!

1 Like

Edit: OH LOL… You meant where is yesterday’s Windows Weekly episode. Um it’s day late, as Leo already explained.

No. I understand that the schedule is at twit.tv and you change it when it needs changing. But is the a place that you do or would post that a program has been moved to another day? (The twit.tv schedule is always in monthly view and that some time to change to see on phone and find changes to the program my postcast app did not download)

Perhaps, @Leo, is there a way for a Zapier robot to post a notice here on the forums if a show gets rescheduled?

I subscribe to the calendar on Google Calendar. Can see when a show has been rescheduled, and has the advantage or displaying the schedule in my timezone.

3 Likes

I wonder why the Surface Neo doesn’t use an ARM processor. It’s thin and users have to get used to a new OS anyway. These early adopters will be the most forgiving so why not go all in?

3 Likes

Hey @Leo and @MaryJo give Mr. Thurrott a hard time during the next show about not joining the Community.

3 Likes

Surface RT PTSD
(20 char min)

1 Like

Enjoy the show and have got a lot out of it, including looking at a number of sponsor’s products - have used some and looking to implement some more as well.

@Leo @MaryJo One topic that I’ve heard a few times on the podcast is the upgrade options from Windows 7 to Windows 10. While I would generally suggest a new computer, so things actually run ok and there are less chances of compatibility issues with hardware and drivers, if you have a machine that can handle Windows 10 and you can find a copy of 1607, that will do the upgrade from Windows 7.

1607 is the last version that did this. When the “free” upgrade finished I was still upgrading machines with 1607, which I was a bit surprised about. I tried upgrading with 1703 when it came out and it failed. I then retried the upgrade with 1607 and it worked. This still works and you can immediately upgrade to 1903, as I did it the other day. I did a fresh install of 1903, but I assume Windows Update will get you there as well.

1 Like

I have a VM snapshot of Windows 7 that has the Windows Upgrade .EXE loaded into it for when I need to rebuild a Windows 10 VM. The one piece of advice I would add is to do the upgrade without a network. I have found the upgrade tool tries to grab newer software, and it’s unclear what version of Windows it tried to tie into.