What is your oldest still operating device

Mine is a Spartus digital alarm clock! 45 years and still counting!

7 Likes

I hope thereā€™s no separate volume knob for the radio alarm, so you donā€™t oversleep on marathon day.

6 Likes

No radio. Just have to reset for DST.

2 Likes

45 years! Color me impressed.

I think mine would be my Nintendo 64, guess thats around 24 years.

3 Likes

I pretty much started over when I moved to Australia 11 years ago, but I do have a Mac Mini from 2006 running as a server. I havenā€™t had it since 2006 though.

3 Likes

I have an Atari 7800 in my basement (the successor to the 2600). It still works.

4 Likes

Well I have some old PCs that could still boot, but I havenā€™t powered them on, so I donā€™t know if that counts. One of them has a Slot 1 Pentium II in it ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pentium_II_front.jpg ). There is also a Sony PS1 and PS2 downstairs that I havenā€™t powered on in more than a decade, but I suspect they might still work if I tried. The oldest device I have that sees any regular use is probably my PS3ā€¦ and I have to admit I havenā€™t powered it on since Sony stopped offering free games for it as far as PS Plus subscription.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know which is older - my Magnavox alarm clock or my AIWA stereo.

3 Likes

We got our grandfather clock around 2003. Itā€™s mechanical, but undeniably a device. My husband has wound that thing every Sunday without fail, much to my everlasting surprise.

5 Likes

That reminds meā€¦ the oldest device I currently have is probably my Pulsar watch that I bought in the late 1990s or early 2000s. It has a Kinetic automatic movement and runs for months when Iā€™m not wearing it. I donā€™t wear it any more as I have an Apple Watch.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot, I guess I also have an original Rio PMP 300 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_PMP300 ) that I bought in 1999. It was great except that it had too little storage (64M) and it had a very poorly designed battery door that meant the slightest jostle of an older (gently used) machine would suffer a temporary power interruption and stop. I also have a 60G HD based iPod that replaced it. But again, while I am certain they both still likely work, I havenā€™t powered them on since the iPod Mini ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Mini ) came out in 2004.

4 Likes

2010 Sony Dumb 720p TV. I bought a 4K TCL 4 series in 2018 and now half the screen is dim and I canā€™t seem to fix it, so itā€™s basically out of commission. The 10 year old Sony is solid and will probably still be working in 2030.

4 Likes

DUAL 1019 Turntable bought it used in 1976, manufactured in 1969 so itā€™s 50, ten years younger than me. The original cover cracked in the 80ā€™s so I fit it into the modified base & cover from a dead KLH turntable.
IMG_20200127_183107 (300x320)
2nd is 40 years old, a Kenwood KA-601 integrated amplified purchased new by my brother in 1979 sold to me in 1989.
IMG_20200127_183125 (320x172)

Although I havenā€™t fired up either of them in about three years, so one or both could be in need of repair now.

7 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to see how those tiny mobile drives held up over the years

2 Likes

Spot lights from the 70s in the bedroom.
My fatherā€™s old slide rule and his student microscope, both in working order (1940s).
Like Pommster, I left most things behind, when I moved to Germany. I do have an old Memotech MT500 computer (1984), which is still in working order, but sitting in a shop window in Stadthagen, Germany.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s an odd thing to say: I believe I still have a TI-74 BASICcalc calulator that works. (Hereā€™s a nice pic of one: https://planet-geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/TI-74.jpg ) I say believe, because I know it moved with me on my last move, I remember having hands on, but I cannot currently put my hands on it :confused: I bought it while still in high school, so it would be pretty much the oldest thing I would still have working (if I knew where it was LOL.)

2 Likes

Looking around, the oldest ā€˜deviceā€™ here is my Grandmotherā€™s mantel clock. It was a wedding present from her work colleagues in 1938.

Iā€™d had it for a few years, but it wasnā€™t striking or chiming so the brilliant Steve Fletcher who UK people may know from The Repair Shop overhauled it for us. Itā€™s now good for another 100 years he reckons. Thereā€™s a bit on his video on how heā€™s now digitised this records. He knows exactly what heā€™s done to every clock heā€™s ever worked on.

So the Westminster Quarters are back. My Uncle in his 70s visited us last week, and he didnā€™t know I had it. Should have seen his face when it struck the hour :grinning:

9 Likes

My oldest operating system- me-:grin:

5 Likes

I have an LED alarm clock that I built from a Maplin kit somewhere around 1977.

A Dixons Prinztronic calculator that I bought in 1974 (still have the receipt) which has +/= and -/= keys: you have to tell it whether each number is positive or negative as you enter it.

Pride of place would go to another mantel clock, this time a Metamec electric one. It was probably a wedding present for my parents which would make it around 80 years old. Itā€™s certainly old enough that itā€™s not self-starting: after connecting it to mains electricity you have to turn a ā€œStartā€ knob to set the rotor spinning and this takes some practice to get right.

5 Likes

That clock is beautiful.

The oldest devices I can think of that Iā€™m certain I still have are my bedside alarm clock, PS2 and Sony TV from around the turn of the century. I spotted something that looked like my wifeā€™s high school calculator in a box the other day, itā€™s probably circa 1995. I also have some old PC parts that are probably the same vintage.

The oldest things I have are my childhood lego and teddybear :blush: The lego probably counts because there are some special powered pieces I have that can be used to add working lights and sirens.

4 Likes