How old is your main computer?

How old is your main PC? Be it laptop or desktop…

I asked how many you have, but never the age of your main one? Just curious how many people are using older machines…

I got a Chromebox in Jan 2019 - that is my main PC. I then bought two Chromebooks in April and May 2019. But, the Chromebox is my everyday computer, and it replaced a Windows 10 laptop that is now almost 4 years old. I am much happier with the Chromebox

1 Like

Can’t really say. Some bits are newer than others since I built it myself and used pats I already had router with newer parts.

2 Likes

I have a mac desktop that is one year old…its still a baby not as cute as baby yoda but it allows me to view him :rofl:

2 Likes

13” MBPro and 13” MBAir both from 2018

2 Likes

Chromebook Pro Samsung XE 510C July 2017

2 Likes

I’m using a Lenovo Yoga that i bought in 2017 when my MacBook Air died and I could t afford a new Mac - and I was worried about the keyboards!
I’ve never loved it and it seems to have problems - unexpectedly shutting down every now and then, and the ‘l’ key often not working. But it’ll do for now…

1 Like

I have a lot of old machines that were originally Windows 7 machines. I have 4 HP Elitebook 8760w laptops. Each one is a little different. I use Linux Mint 19 on them as my main computer. I bought them refurbished on Ebay for a fraction of their new price. I have a customer who has a 12 year old Gateway, 32 bit and running Linux Mint 19 and it works fine. Just because a computer is old does not mean it needs to be replaced. If it does what you need it to do then you are in good shape. Computer age really does not matter, other than features and peripherals.

3 Likes

2016 MacBook Pro…with THAT keyboard. :expressionless:

4 Likes

The core of my main system is about 6 years old, it still suits my needs and I do play the latest and greatest games.

1 Like

5 year old Dell desktop, but new SSD, and increased the memory.

1 Like
Built my wife and I main PC's. 
They are Maxed out two year old AMD-FX mobo's. 
The mobile laptop is a Dell Latitude E7440 i7 Touch. 
Have hacked Mac Pro 2006, and 2011 Mac Mini i7 server.
All my machines have secondary boots of fedora 3.1 .

I always buy last year’s fashion.

2 Likes

I use 3 computers at home regularly.

• Samsung Chromebook Plus V2, about 6 months old is my main web surfing machine
  • HP Elite laptop i7 with 16GB RAM about 3 years old, the trackpad flaked out (why I got the Chromebook) Windows became unusable so I fixed it, installed Fedora Linux and it’s functionally a desktop for Virtual Machines and Docker containers.
  • Lenovo Pentium based All-In-One about 5 years old, when I took it from my mother (gave her a chromebook) I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and an SSD, it’s quite usable now, for small projects. Home Automation mostly

I’m fortunate to have new computers.
Business #1: Lenovo ThinkStation P330, i9-9900, 32 GB RAM
Business #2: Surface Pro 5 with two Dell P2715Q monitors connected to it.
Home/Photography: Dell XPS 15 7590, i7-9750, 32 GB RAM, 2TB SSD, OLED display
The XPS is replacing a Surface Book (the original) primarily because the 512BG hard drive getting full. Once I move my photo library to the XPS I’m going to install Adobe Fresco to play with.

I’m going to post a review of the XPS 15 once I’ve had a little more time with it.

I have a 2016 HP Spectre x360 and a 2017 Ryzen desktop.

I mainly use the desktop. It replaced a 2007 q6600 PC and the laptop my 2010 Vaio, which my wife used up until this week, but she is now moving onto the HP as I hardly ever use it.

I might put Linux on the Vaio. It is a core i7 with 8gb ram…

3 Likes

My ex wife has a Sony laptop that used to be mine. I loved the keyboard. I miss those Sony laptops

6 Likes

My main desktop is from 2012 (Core i5 3570K, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, Radeon R9 290). I’m really hard pressed to replace her as she runs everything great (even games, medium to high settings).

3 Likes

It’s so new it still smells new. Surface Laptop 3 :smiley:

2 Likes

Bought my main computer in 2013 - ASUS AIO P1801. It’s a real beauty and came with Windows 8 and also Android which gave me an 18 1/2", 20 point touch tablet which doubles as the main Windows screen with touch. It also had a Nvdia GPU and 8 gigs of memory. Upgraded to Win 8.1 and now Win 10. Never gave me a single day’s grief and works perfectly even now. Never had a problem with upgrades. Also upgraded the main drive to a Samsung 850 EVO 500mb SSD. Sad that they stopped making these a while back.
ASUS_Transformer_AiO_P1801

Also have a 2017 Yoga with UHD screeen and GPU, an iPad and a Dual OS (win/Android) 8" tablet (CHUWI Vi8) running Win 10 and Android as dual boot.

2 Likes

I have never seen this before what the heck. Does it still get Android updates? It must not, right? You still use this as a daily driver? Thats wild. Super cool.

2 Likes