A long time fan from the TechTV days

My name is Chad and I’ve been a geek since I got my first computer for Christmas 1985 (Commodore 64). I’ve enjoyed the shows on the TwiT network for many years now and as an iPhone user really enjoy iOS Today. I’m looking forward to the forums here. This is a great idea.

9 Likes

One of my fondest memories is playing Jumpman on the C-64. I wish someone would clone/remake it for modern systems.

2 Likes

I keep an old desktop around that’s not connected to the internet and its running Windows XP as I have a lot of emulators on it to play my old games that I grew up with. The C64 was a great game machine and the Amiga was even better although it was pricey.

2 Likes

There were some amazing graphics on the Amiga. Here’s something you may not know… The Amiga game company Pysgnosis made some impressive games with amazing graphics. If you follow their lineage, they’re still making games today… and I can feel the history when I play the Housemarque games on the PS4… Super Startdust HD, Resogun and others definitely have a hint of Amiga still [to me.]

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. Very interesting to find out. I play the Amiga Emulator quite a bit. I know the Amiga was much more popular in Europe than the USA and was used much longer over there in some audio and video production. I remember that a lot of the games we’d get (cracked of course) came from Europe.

2 Likes

Okay, here’s another fun fact:

The switcher that they use for Twit is the big, big brother of the Amiga Video Toaster. NewTek made the Video Toaster (and Lightwave 3D one of the first 3D modeling programs to become widely popular) and they also now make the Tricaster.

5 Likes

I had an Amiga 500 and a 1200 then C= went under so I went PC.

2 Likes

I got an Amiga 500 for Christmas 1988 and kept it for about 10 years which was long after I moved to the PC platform in 1992. The games were just so cool on it. The PC was finally catching up in sound and video but I still hung on to my Amiga 500 for a long time.

2 Likes

Welcome, Chad (aka shadowlord)… I’m also a vintage tech lover, I actually recommended that TWiT do a show on vintage tech reviews, from their point of view relative to the time period the tech was created in, and also how it holds up now. I’m both a Mac and PC lover, and have my share of Surface devices and Macs laying around (haha) as well as iPods, and I do have a C64 somewhere, too. I also enjoy iOS Today and MacBreak Weekly, Windows Weekly, etc. (Psst… Leo, if you need someone to do the Vintage Tech show, Chad and I are free! haha)

BB

3 Likes

That’s a great idea! I’d gladly co-host a vintage tech program. I’m sure there are a lot of us “vintage techies” out there. I often watch episodes of The Screen Savers and Call For Help on YouTube as they bring back memories. It’s a amazing how far we’ve come in 20 years technology wise.

2 Likes

Ah yes, Jumpman. I actually worked with the guy who wrote Jumpman and sold it to Epyx. A very bright guy. The days of a single person creating and writing a computer game are long gone.

2 Likes

Like Richard Garriott writing the code for most all of the early Ultima games and the two Dougherty brothers who created Legacy of The Ancients and Legend of Blacksilver. Both excellent C64 games.

2 Likes

Long time fan since Tech TV day’s also

2 Likes

I also support the idea of a retro tech show. There is some good content on YouTube, but only a handful of podcasts of varying quality.

2 Likes

Welcome.

I had a friend with a Commodore 64 and 128. But, I got my 1st computer in 1988 - a Tandy 1000HX.

3 Likes

I remember those Tandy computers. A friend had an older Color computer from Tandy. Called CoCo. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

1 Like

Back in the day I was such a fan of TechTV I had The Screen Savers as skins for my Sims! I also has the members of Kiss, so, well there ya go. Good times. Anyone remember Mama Marrone?! Oh and my first “pc” was a Vic20.

3 Likes

I remember the Vic 20 as they had one (only one mind you, lol) at school. When I got my C64 for Christmas 1985 we had six Apple 2E (I think) computers at school in the 7th grade.

1 Like

I used to be a demo artist on the Toaster and Lightwave. Sadly, Newtek gave up any interest in the lower end of the video market, and have ceded that to Blackmagic Design.

1 Like

Jumpman was the best!

1 Like