🧀 What is Queso?

Para mí, queso significa cheese. I like cheese, too. However, I tend not to understand what type of cheese.
Personally, I like choriqueso.

I tried finding a good Choriqueso pic, but all I found were recipes that tried too hard.

1 Like

To me (having gone to college in the 70s) Queso is a can of Ro’tel tomatoes and a 16 oz block of Velveeta melted in a fondue pot. Sometimes the worst things are made good by the memories they are attached to. Living in Peru, Queso is just cheese. :cheese:

2 Likes

Thanks @Captain_Sam, I like cheese. I just keep wondering what does @gigastacey, or any of them, means when she mentions Queso.
The two cheeses I know are

• Queso Fresco
  • Queso Oaxaca

… Also, I tried thanking you on the Intro section, but I ran out of replies :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

When @gigastacey talks about Queso she means a Mexican style chip dip popular in the USA. Don’t even try to make it with a good cheese. I love Queso fresco and Queso Oaxaca, but they can’t be uesed for Queso dip. I think processed cheese food is the best thing to use. People who care more about their health use inexpensive cheddar cheese. I know it sounds funny that a Mexican style dip can’t be made with Mexican style cheese. After having lived in Mexico for a while, I can’t call Mexican style food in the US Mexican. I now call it Texican.

So, some kind of Queso Fundio, I’m guessing? Either way, I’ll just leave it alone and imagine some kind of cheese dip when they say Queso. Y con sombrero pa’ que sepa mas rico.

Thanks @Captain_Sam for the clarification. For now, I’m off to find some kind of cheese.

1 Like
1 Like

So @Captain_Sam is right. I do mean processed yellow cheese. Queso fresco is great on tacos and Queso Blanco melts well but is a little much for a cheese dip. Cotija is my favorite Mexican cheese. And Mexican food is a different variety from Tex-Mex entirely. As a huge mole fan, I’m super glad that real Mexican food is growing in popularity in the U.S.

3 Likes

I wish real Mexican would grow in popularity north of the border, up here in Canada. Or even just good old Americanized Mexican. All the good Mexican places (at least here in BC) stop at the US border. I’ve had to (God forbid) learn to cook some myself. (And YES, mole!!)

Btw, Stacey, much belated welcome to the PNW. I lived north of Seattle (Bellingham) for 20 years (and am even farther north now)…you always struck me as someone who’d be a natural for the area. I hope it’s been a good move for you and your family!

3 Likes

Thanks y’all for the clarification. Not a big fan of mole myself. But talking foods of my culture, I enjoy a good posole.

2 Likes

OMG i despair of good posole up here, but on at weekend brunch in Texas, it was always on the menu. And it would be so good up here where it’s cold. I did see some day of the dead bread in the grocery so maybe there’s hope

1 Like

I had a really nice posole in Guanajuato when I was living there.

1 Like