TWIG 720: Beyond Baby

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like
  • Beyond Meat (BYND), Impossible Foods Burgers Are Just Another Food Fad. " enjoyed this clip watched it via utube this am"

Talking about the fake meat stuff, I wonder how much it tastes like proper meat. We all know there is some effect of climate change on meat production, as with everything, but how much impact does your fake meats or any other stuff you’re using to substitute meat in your diet? I tried the McDonalds plant-based burger, and it didn’t taste of anything.
Also on the whole thing about the issue with data brokers and privacy, I’m not saying that you’re wrong to mistrust the government, but why is it OK for a private business to buy from a data broker but law enforcement, whose job it is to protect you, can’t. I agree they ought to get a warrant, but if it’s illegal for the government to do it, should it not be Illegal for private businesses to do it?

Here in Germany, there is a wide selection of plant based meat substitutes, from bacon to burgers, sausages and even things like liver sausage and other cold cuts. Some taste somewhat like the real thing, they are certainly better for the environment, because they are just the plants, not processed meat.

But I still don’t understand why people eat them, there are a lot of very tastey vegetables and thousands of delicious vegetable dishes, why ruin a vegetable to make it taste like something it isn’t? We eat a lot of vegetables and eat meat (real meat) a few times a week. If we want real meat, we buy good quality fresh meat and prepare it normally. But we have cut back a lot from recent years.

As a kid, we’d have meat maybe 4 times a week, as I grew older, it was almost every day, now it is back to 3-4 times a week, with more vegetable dishes, like it used to be. Interestingly, when I was younger, we ate a lot of fish, because it was cheap, compared to other meats. These days, it is among the most expensive meats.

Impact on the environment:

1. best is fresh, locally produced fruit & vegetables, they are grown locally, so don’t have to travel far
  2. regional fruit and vegetables are next
  3. national or international fruit and veg are next, they have used a lot of fuel to get to you, but little processing.
  4. frozen fruit and veg - a lot of energy is wasted in making it cold and holding it there, but it lasts longer; also instant freezing can actually mean that more of the vitamins stay in the product, they don’t slowly disipate as it sits on the shelf.
  5. locally produced bio meat, this is reared up on local plants in the pasture, but they need a lot of plants to grow, they produce a lot of greenhouse gases and they need a lot of care and produce a lot of waste. Processing that meat takes a lot of energy and equipment.
  6. other meats, that come from further away and non-bio, which uses feed grown elsewhere and shipped to the farms, then they are shipped to a slaughterhouse and then the meat is shipped to a processing plant, then it is all packed in plastic and shipped to supermarkets…

So fresh, locally grown fruit and veg is best and locally reared meat is better than plastic-packed supermarket meat - both from taste and environmental impact, usually. But, because fruit and veg goes straight from the ground/trees to your stomach, it is almost always a better environmental cost than meat, which is 100s of times more vegetables grown and fed to animals, which have to be housed and produce waste, before they are killed are prepared for you to eat.

2 Likes

Precisely, and usual said so eloquently, there is no need for a plant based sausage or burger or chicken, there are 1000s of tasty, healthy plant dishes that are meat free.

2 Likes

Was interesting with Stacey’s pick on the editor for Google home, that I do pretty much all of what she said and more with Alexa, especially as the echo dots now have the ability to detect motion. Poor Alexa didn’t even get a mention, yet she can handle triggers, loops, if then, else’s and have them run autonomously or from a voice prompt.

Applause to Stacey for calling out the scare tactics. Everyone who talks about fake meats has the same sneering attitude about it, and it’s a bit much.

I’ve never had an Impossible Burger or whatever. Too expensive. But every so often I like to have a frozen veggie sausage patty in my breakfast. It tastes great, it’s not greasy, and it’s not as unpredictable as real meat–no squidgy bits or lumps of fat.

Look at that. There’s nothing to be afraid of in there.

People have been complaining about the taste and other qualities of meat ever since they moved on from roasting it over open fires (many people in the world still do cook that way, of course).
@JeffJarvis, you’ll love this: https://gastropod.com/hotbox-the-oven-from-turnspit-dogs-to-microwaves/ It’s the Gutenberg moral panic of food, playing out every time we change anything about the way we cook.
Fake meat isn’t meat, obviously, but when it comes to flavor, mouthfeel, etc., the debates around it sound very similar to the debate over whether meat cooked in an oven is flavorless, weird, and unnatural.

P.S. Remember when the UK learned the hard way that the ingredients in beef are kind of everything the cow ate?

P.P.S. @big_D “why ruin a vegetable to make it taste like something it isn’t?” That’s what cooking is. I don’t mean to be smart-aleck about it, but literally… As someone who prefers an unseasoned brussel sprout because of its natural delicate sweetness, I would say putting salt or anything else on a vegetable makes it taste like something it isn’t. Also, the amount of “good quality fresh meat” you eat is still in rich people territory.

P.P.P.S. guys you don’t have to apologize for coughing, just mute yourself :laughing:

1 Like