WebIRC upgrade time

There are 2 standout issues with the current webIRC (qwebirc) so I suggest a replacement.
Currently the webIRC needs Flash for sound notifications to work.
Using HTTPS fails. I have used qwebirc with HTTPS so I know it works.

I suggest a modern and very stylish webIRC front end with more of the features you get in real IRC clients.
It is also themeable so can be made to look seamless with the site design.
(you can test the demo site with any freenode room)

1 Like

Why not better a Discord server? This is a plug-in to embed Discord to a web page with guest support, that way we phone users would not be out of the conversation

1 Like

That is a different topic.
Discord would be another chat platform not a replacement. Lots of users connect with real IRC clients (I am one of them).

My suggestion is for what currently exists to use HTTPS (so webIRC passwords are encrypted) and given modern features such as sound without flash, and link previews like we have here and in real IRC clients (and discord).

@Leo can I draw your attention to the lack of encryption when using the webIRC, and that if you expect any guests or users to reserve their nickname, they will need to use a password.
A password that will be sent in plain text.

Until the page is using HTTPS please notify people not to use it if a password will be needed.
I also recommend you cast your eyes over the Lounge webIRC which can be made to look much more like a part of the twit site, and supports modern features the users may find useful, such as emoji and not needing flash for sound :wink:

Not a fan of the IRC chat in general. I’ve tried a couple IRC clients to improve the experience and still felt their was much to be desired. Honestly I’d love it if there way away we could all chat on actual messaging/chat program all together. IRC just seems outdated all the way around.

4 Likes

I generally use Trillian so my IRC experience is exactly like my IM experience.
It is just a network and protocol so yes looking for a different front-end can make or break the experience.
The chat system in the Twitch streaming site is IRC behind all the fluff.
IRC is what you make it, same as jabber/XMPP.

I am very familiar with the webIRC in use here and it’s age due to several Unreal Tournament sites using it.
This is why I suggest we opt for a nice modern option like “The Lounge”.
Check out their own hosted version which acts as a working demo.
It still doesn’t replace the power of a real IRC client, but for site visitors it is perfect.

Note: The current software from https://qwebirc.org has supported SSL since 2009.
Why are we not using encryption ?

Add my vote for transitioning to TWiT.social for the main live interaction platform, and let IRC (especially webIRC) sunset through attrition. Registering accounts on TWiT.social and messaging around hashtags is a proven-good approach to live events, but also has other advantages. I’ve been around since the pre-podcast days. I understand the place that IRC holds to many of us, and I know there are some trade offs, but @ing and following others to build community, while using hashtags to provide live responses to the show… it’s a proven model. Just flashback to Twitter in 2007 and how we used it at Barcamps, etc. That’s what our own TWiT instance of Mastodon could become today.

Later this year, we’ll be transitioning the live.twit.tv, IRC, feeds, and wiki servers to a new host. While we’re at it, Russell and I have been talking about performing software upgrades and implementing HTTPS (which is already available on feeds, but not currently enforced).

1 Like

I am pro-mastodon, but the problem there and the main advantage that people always miss with IRC is the matter of having an account or not.

IRC allows a casual radio listener to give instant feedback or join in, but without the hassle of creating yet another account.
This is why I chose IRC for my radio show rather than any of the others with more management options and flexibility.
I considered using Jabber, discord and mumble, but I want to allow anonymous 1-off users to pop in and say hello without an account or extra software.

IRC is just a network at the end of the day and more modern IRC front ends can easily disguise the nature of the beast.
This is why I suggested swapping to the Lounge software so users have a modern experience they expect in 2020 but with the low friction you only get with IRC.

@PDelahanty Coolio, I just ask that you make sure that any guests you suggest to reserve their nickname, to never use the webIRC til after that point.

There is one, Discord, check the Recalbox webpage and you will see the chat and if you join you will see how they have IRC chats inside it

You can use IRC with Pidgin as well, but I don’t know that it’s better than a “proper” client. (I use mIRC.)

1 Like

Indeed, Pidgin is my Linux option :+1:
I do have it installed in windows but favour Miranda-NG due to the bigger plugins collection.
However I always recommend pidgin to most users these days as it is easier to setup than miranda.

Trillian is an old friend hard to wave goodbye to even though now the developers are the least helpful or social of any devs involved with social media and messaging apps.
It remembers and syncs my accounts and contacts across multiple networks, with 1 single login, including IRC (only save IRC contacts that have reserved their nickname).
I see image and website previews and it supports most emoji.

This thread however is about the use of an old webIRC software that uses flash for sound notifications.
Software I would also like to wave goodbye to as there is modern options like The Lounge, which will give the site IRC users an experience like we get in decent desktop IRC clients.
This allows for the same existing IRC server to continue as if nothing changed.