TWIG 754: Guerrilla Gardening

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Fun to hear the ADS-B talk. I contribute data to adsbexchange.com as a hobby. The technology is truly wonderful, my receiver cost ~40$ in total. No satellites or anything extreme. It’s a self-reporting system, meaning aircraft are mandated (with exceptions) to send an outbound signal containing flight data such as altitude, heading and speed. As opposed to classic systems requiring expensive active detection tech such as RADAR. Great initiative by the FAA in keeping up with technology and pragmatic requirements.

Leo had some fair points in the discussion about how our social interactions are impacted by technology. But I’ve got stand firm in my belief that social interactions over an electronic medium can be just as meaningful as those conducted in person. The medium isn’t what matters, be it electrons or air ripples, it’s the relationship.

1 Like

This was an extremely fun show to listen to! The whole team was in high form, but Mikah is such a great addition that I’d really love to see him take Ant’s open seat. Great combination of being knowledgeable and having a great sense of humour. Good to hear he will host during Leo’s vacation.

3 Likes

Yeah Mikah really added some spice to the mix. I’d love to have him every week but I don’t want him to burn out.

2 Likes

The idea that people we interact with on the internet aren’t real people–that the internet itself is separate from “real life”–is a root cause of some pretty significant problems. If we’d gone into this whole internet thing from the beginning with the mindset that we are in fact interacting with real people and we owe those people all the same empathy, civility, and consideration that we’re supposed to give people right in front of us, wouldn’t the world be a better place?

1 Like

Yes, and it seems that people are so used to not treating people with civility and empathy on the Internet that it is spilling over into real life in many instances.

2 Likes