TTG 1839 for Saturday 23 October 2021

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

The Tech Guy Labs page for this episode: Episode 1839 | The Tech Guy

1 Like

@Leo I’m surprised to hear your upfront announcement that there’s no Tech Guy next week. I can’t recall the last time that happened. There’s usually a guest host or pre-recorded episode if I’m not mistaken. I loved having Scott guest host but Rich was good too. And with Mikah sitting in the last few weeks I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him in there, though perhaps it’s a lot to take in with just a few visits under his belt.

Anyway, enjoy the trip! Any chance we might get a TWiT Special with you and Mike next month with a recap and a bunch of pictures? That would be fun.

1 Like

Usually the only time there is a pre-recorded show and/or guest host is when Leo will be away for more than one week at a time. For one week, its probably easier to just put up a rerun versus producing a show, or getting someone to guest host.

1 Like

My contract with Premiere allows me to miss four weekends. It’s a lot of work to record all new content and it’s expensive to fly Rich or Scott up for just one weekend. Hence, re-runs once in a while.

Once Mikah is up to speed I’d love to see him be my fill-in. But I’m not rushing him - I want him to be totally comfortable.

3 Likes

i hope Mikah can bring some modernization to the format too, perhaps create a webapp?, where ppl can pinch in during the live event and automate problems by batch, like “you have this problem to? hit this button and we will send you an email with the link to the shownotes”

that would mean callers can pre fill their problems, even call in via webRTC, get private notifications etc. i know its geeky and some calls still can be handled the old way, but that would make the show more interactive.

prefill you can ask the chatroomers for pre call info and the TLDR answer, interresting questions can be voted up so the host is presented with the correct answer.

just my 2cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Only 4? I think you need to renegotiate :slight_smile:

Those are great ideas. It might all be a bit much for some of the callers, who are decidedly non-technical, but certainly an interesting way to bring what is essentially old-school call-in radio into the modern age.

1 Like

Let’s not forget, it’s a call-in radio show. By definition a format from years gone by.

2 Likes

@Leo Laporte: Still fresh even if he’s by definition from years gone by! :smiley:

3 Likes