Things that drive me nuts

1. I have Comcast down here in Lompoc (near Vandenberg AFB CA). A lot of sites like Walmart, Home Depot and others ask you to select a store near you. I have to keep doing that because they always list stores up in your area when I go back to that site later. Why is this?

2. I have Last Pass and love it. Sometimes you have to enter a password on a new account, and other such situations. What drives me nuts is most of the time what you enter is hidden or masked. Rarely you have an option “to show password”. Is there any app or software that will not mask what you enter? I understand the need to protect, but not everyone needs to mask their password or what they enter in the privacy of your own home.

3. With all the smart appliances, I would like to see a smart coffee cup. The concept would be like a wireless phone in a cradle plugged into power. I have a kettle that will heat water to a precise temp. Why can’t I have my cup of coffee stay at a constant temp? I know there are hot plate type of devices for coffee cups, but they are far from ideal. I can’t find a product as described.

Sometimes it is the little things that drive you nuts, these are a few of mine. Perhaps these could be a topic in one of the TWIT shows.

1 Like

You can, check out Ember. Have one, it sucks and I don’t use it. But maybe it will be just what you wanted.

3 Likes

Thanks! What about it makes you say it sucks? Looks cool.

1 Like

I have an Ember that I keep in my office at home on my desk! Keeps my coffee and tea hot

1 Like

I was going to say a wrench drives me nuts :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Do you have cookies blocked or an ad blocker?

I just let LastPass generate my passwords. No need to see them.

1 Like

Because the battery lasts about 10 minutes, and the cup is hard to clean (can’t immerse) and the top doesn’t come apart. I got a simple $20 Contigo travel mug that I can easily clean and even put in the dishwasher, and it keeps my coffee a reasonable temp for at least an hour.

2 Likes

Perhaps there’s a scaled version of a Sous-vide cooker out there :joy:

I tried one of those small coffee mug plate warmer things once…realized I usually drank the cup before the heat was even needed so I pitched it. The follow-on cups are in a vacuum mug…yeti.

1 Like

Because IP’s are geo-located. I don’t know how long Comcast gives you an IP address for. Some ISPs recycle them quite quickly because they have a limited quantity and they have many customers. If yours is one that changes your IP frequently, this would be one explanation. Another explanation is that the site sets a cookie to remember the location you choose, but you frequently clear these cookies.

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered about this… Thanks for making it make sense!

1 Like

What is driving me nuts at the moment is the under-screen fingerprint reader on my wife’s new Samsung Galaxy S10. It recognizes her fingerprint about 25% of the time. She usually has to try 2 - 3 times, or it tells her to enter her PIN, because the fingerprints aren’t recognized!

2 Likes

I think some of sites specifically stop addons filling in fields, especially password fields.

3 Likes

In those cases, you can usually still generate a password and paste into the password field.

2 Likes

Which is what I do. (filler, filler, filler)

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be ‘drives my nuts’ not ‘drives me nuts?’

2 Likes

That depends on where in the UK you come from :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A pirate walks into the bar with a steering wheel in his pants. He asks for some rum. The bartender says, “Yes, but sir, do you realise you have a steering wheel in your pants?”
The pirate says, “Arr! It’s driving me nuts!”

8 Likes

I have this and it works very well as long as I use a cup with a FLAT bottom which is usually hand made pottery.

1 Like

A gripe thread? I can get down with this :grin:

• Collared shirts
  • Apples that look good on the outside, but taste bland
  • The Unreal Engine
  • Phone calls with poor voice quality
  • January
  • Lack of “reply-all” etiquette in email chains
  • The Post Office

I’ll probably think of some more later

6 Likes

Sanity drives me nuts. :grin:
Not really, but a phone ringing does. Because it always rings when you can’t get to it, or are right in the middle of something important. And sometimes it will wake you up when you are in the middle of the perfect dream.
Also, when I get the yard tools out to freshen up the yard on a sunny day. A rain shower moves in quickly, and wets everything down.

4 Likes