The Photo Thread: Week of 2020-02-02

Snapped a pic of my morning brew. Light processing in Google Photos.

3 Likes

Handheld on a smartphone? Unreal. It looks great.

1 Like

Yes, it is almost too good to be true. I suspect there is some trickery going on. Took these two pictures through a window last night. The bottom one without Moon mode and you can clearly see how the reflections of the window glass messes things up. The top one using Moon Mode show no sign of reflections and is as clear as a couple pictures i took outside.
When they launched Moon Mode last summer, there were a lot of speculation about Huawei “enhancing” the pictures a bit too much, putting more detailed images of the moon over the pictures. I have not seen any definitive answer to wether this is true or not, Huawei still claim their machine learning part of the camera, Master AI, is the answer to the highly detailed pictures, adjusting parameters to take an as accurate picture as possible.

4 Likes

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-p30-pro-moon-mode-controversy-978486/

Would be interesting to know though if Huawei is augmenting the pics with other pictures of the moon, or just applying techniques to the image data captured in the phone.

Does make me smile when people post a smartphone pic and make a point of ‘no edits’.

That is crazy if true. Test it out. Take the phone completely off line and see how the photos turn out.