The Photo Thread: Week of 2020-03-15

Was going to post in previous thread when I noticed we are due for a new one.

Saw this little guy on my walk to work this morning. Poor thing looked a little worse for wear, but it didn’t take any water I offered it and would move away pretty quickly when I got close.

Taken on my Ricoh GR II with light edits and crop in Lightroom mobile

12 Likes

i hope the lil one is well.

I do love the orange-reddish-yellow gradient on the chest. Looks like a flame.

1 Like

Pixel 3. Near the Exploratorium at Pier 17. Totally forgot to take a photo of the plaque to remind me what this structure represents.

7 Likes

Beautiful, vibrant colors!

1 Like

Poor thing. I see dozens of these near where I live.

3 Likes

That is so cool. We have no birds like that here.

2 Likes

This is Sundance Square in Fort Worth, Texas from a month or two ago. (Nokia 7.2)

7 Likes

S10e. Madeira, Fanal.

15 Likes

That’s a great shot - gotta love fog.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: The place is perfectly magical, pretty much our current favourite. Either it’s mystically foggy or stunningly beautiful. The free-roaming cows are like wandering spirits in the midst of it. Hardly any people there. The quietest place I’ve ever been. We sat there once, just marvelling and all of a sudden, we heard something that sounded like a landing glider - we turned to find that a medium-sized bird landed beside us. Lovely experience for us city folk… :wink:

(taken 2019, same phone, and 2016, S8+)

10 Likes

I can read the title of the plaque, it says it’s a buckyball, and a google search reveals this:

https://ethw.org/Discovering_the_Buckyball

" A buckyball is a molecule called Buckminsterfullerene. Composed of 60 carbon atoms formed in the shape of a hollow ball, buckyballs have, as yet, little practical use, although they do make up nanotubes, which have some uses."

2 Likes

I love me some good landscape photography. Very nice.

2 Likes

@andrewmelder You’re in Perth aren’t you?

That’s a Rainbow Lorikeet, I am lucky enough to have a couple of trees in my yard that produce a fruit they like, so I get lots of them here in Brisbane. Apparently Perth has it’s own population of them now, but it’s introduced. Are they common in Perth?

I have never been that close to one, usually they stay high in trees, and are very fast moving.

They are also very noisy. There is a supermarket near me that has a massive tree in the car park. They like to roost in that tree overnight, and there would easily be a thousand of them all calling at once. If you park near the tree at dusk the sound is deafening. Literally put your finders in your ears deafening.

Sun coming up behind the clouds on a chilly morning.

7 Likes

Yep, Perth here. I don’t see them often yet. Around my house we have a lot of Australian Ringnecks and Galahs.

Completely unrelated, but maybe interesting:

2 Likes

Just a bridge. I liked the reflections, though.

12 Likes

Where is that at? It looks great!

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s in Fort Worth, Texas going across the Trinity River.

1 Like

Cool. I lived in Dallas about 15 years ago. But, never went around Ft Worth too much except for downtown and the Stockyards.

1 Like