Ideas for possible future shows for the TWiT network

How about a show with a UK focus? TWIT-UK for example. I see you do have some UK presenters on from time to time. Would make a welcome change from Brexit!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was thinking this too. I love my Instant Pot, One Top, Nuwave oven, and I too use a digital scale. A cooking tech show would be good.

1 Like

Sometimes All About Android goes into more culture and entertainment tangents that make me want more on that. I can see a fun Flo/Mikah or Ron/Mikah hosted show that focuses on how tech has influenced cultural experiences like music, tv, movies, etc. I think it could also overlap with tech nostalgia items. It could also be both casual and scripted and a bit playful or flat out crazy. I don’t know, maybe it would make for a better 10-15 min YouTube show than a podcast, but I think it’s worth exploring.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was trying to keep the change to TWiCH cheaper from a production cost standpoint. The Screen Savers must have been crazy expensive.

1 Like

Good point. I recommend people check out “The Full Nerd”, which very much has the feeling of a show that could be on TWiT (and it wouldn’t surprise me if they drew inspiration from TWiT), right down to a producer (TD? Don’t know the jargon) who cuts in too much (just kidding, Karsten, Adam, love you both :D). Their budget can’t be high.

There are a lot of ways to keep a partially hands-on hardware show low budget, including virtual builds (PC Part Picker, PC Building Simulator, Newegg/Amazon cart), low budget challenge builds, Raspberry Pi/single-board computing, repairs and upgrades of old builds, etc. Throw in some PC gaming, which definitely is a large niche, if one can consider millions (tens of millions?) of PC gamers a niche audience.

It’s fine if TWiT doesn’t want to do this for staffing and budget reasons, or just from having a full programming slate, but I don’t think some of the other reasons (e.g. it’s too niche) are as valid. Granted, there’s definitely competition - including from PC Per itself, which is why I don’t watch TWiCH, it’s redundant for me - which is why I’m okay with things as is.

But every time a 13 year old or even an older individual calls and says they want to build a computer and Leo can only refer them over to PC Per, I cry a little on the inside*. They have good reviews and build recommendations, but they aren’t the best place to learn how to build a computer, or that newbie friendly… and I think they lost a bit of structure (and I don’t mean the church, though they did lose that) when Allyn and Ryan left for Intel.

*Not really

2 Likes

Technical Director sounds better than “dude[tte] who pushes buttons to switch camera inputs” :wink:

2 Likes

A TWiT This Week In Crypto (or Crypto Daily) would be an interesting audio-only show. Just needs a host or hosts who really understand the subject matter because they’re a developer and/or come from the finance or trading side.

3 Likes

I have, for the longest time, wanted a show with journalists of the three companies represented in TWIT shows (Apple, Google, and Microsoft) - where they sit down and debate the topics from their respective bailiwicks (for lack of a better word).

For example - something like a show with Mary Jo Foley, Florence Ion, and Lory Gill (who cover Microsoft, Google, and Apple, respective) where they talk about the news around each company and how they see it impacting the company they cover. It wouldn’t be as focused as, say Windows Weekly or MacBreak Weekly - because it would be covering broader discussion. TWIT (the show) is similar to this, but I would see this as more focused that TWIT - without being as single-purposed as WW, MBW, or TWiG.

All too often, it seems like the shows are silo’d and the only cross-over you see is when, for example, @mikahsargent hosts Windows Weekly or Lory shows up on TWIT. What would @Lory’s take be on the Surface Pro X - and how would the perspective of Mary Jo Foley differ from hers? I want the synergy of their varied perspectives - because I think the use cases of Mary Jo differ from Lory’s and from Flo’s, and in sharing those perspectives, there’s some good conversation and (friendly) debate to be had.

15 Likes

This sounds like it would be a fun show! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Lory Gill in da house!!! I’m making you a Leader @Lory and giving you your very own Sub-Category if you want to start a “hello” topic. Welcome!!

6 Likes

I love this idea. There’s some much knowledge and experience in the Twit host pool but like you said there’s not much interaction.

You sometimes get tiny glimpses of potential. For example, on a recent TWiG Leo brought up that Paul Thurrot has been using a Chromebook recently, and there was a little bit of discussion from Jeff Jarvis about how he uses it etc. Or sometimes Leo will bring up Steve Gibson’s battles with Windows 10 on Windows Weekly and Paul and Mary Jo will chime in (admittedly a little sarcastically :stuck_out_tongue:). I would love to see these expanded to full-on discussions.

It doesn’t even need to be opposing viewpoints for me. I’ve been listening to old Security Now episodes, and there’s one that’s literally just Steve Gibson and Ray Maxwell (host of the old Maxwell’s House podcase on Twit) geeking out about old computers for 45 minutes. It was a really refreshing change of pace.

Edit - You sort of get this with some of the Twit Christmas specials too which I’ve always enjoyed.

4 Likes

I get the impression that there’s been a bit of ‘focusing’ of the network in recent years towards consumer tech. This is fine and makes sense, but I would love to see some of the wider geeky subjects tackled again, especially science (Ray and Kiki’s stuff, some segments on TNSS), but also things like the environment, gaming, internet culture etc.

7 Likes

Wow, this is a show I would watch for sure!

4 Likes

I think each of you ladies has such a cool perspective on your ‘news beat’ that there’s a lot of really interesting interactions that could result from the three of you sitting (literally or virtually) around a table.

3 Likes

I know! I’ve always thought it was a cool idea, and I’ve passed this along a few times in the TWIT customer feedback survey, but as nothing came of it - I just figured there were other things with a higher priority and I stopped doing it.

But I’m convinced a show like this would rock.

1 Like

And just think of the sponsors who would be lining up to sponsor the shows! This is a very good idea.

1 Like

How about a show featuring people who are former owners or execs in tech companies? Could be a nice way to get “insider” opinions. I say “former” to avoid anyone from getting in trouble with their old employer/company.

3 Likes

One last thing (don’t want to harp on it, just had an idea) about a TWiCH revamp/upgrade:
Patrick, Ant, and Flo would be the perfect host trio for it. All three have enough experience and knowledge for it, and Flo’s been covering PC gaming laptops and doing game streaming, so she could cover the gaming side of things. You could still have Sebastian on (love Sebastian) or whoever can fill in from PC Per as remote person when he’s busy.

Anyway, just a thought. This would be such a fun and good show with those hosts, I think… just daydreaming, I suppose.

2 Likes

Always like the episodes of Know How that had inexpensive projects that you could follow along with. I purchased my first Pi five or six years ago so i could follow along. Also love all the quadcopter shows. As someone that has been into Radio Controlled car for as long as I can remember. It was fun to build along with the show and fly my first quad. Would love to see something like that come along again that had a low cost of entry, but is fun and educational all at the sametime.

4 Likes

Women of Tech? I like the premise. Would certainly inspire a younger generation of women to enter the field

5 Likes