Ideas for possible future shows for the TWiT network

I feel like FLOSS Weekly used to be “The Linux Show” and Leo would always try to install something or update something in the midst of the show and everything would crash.
Those were the best episodes

This would be a great show. I would listen to it.
I think the format suggested is really good. It is one of the things I really enjoyed about Stacey’s IoT podcast. News and stuff at the beginning of the show and then a deep dive into a specific topic

2 Likes

The Lingo of Linux …

4 Likes

A linux show would be nice and using the TWIT name:
This Week In Tux

Since Leo is always pushing install linux on every show (probably mac weekly at times) it would be nice.

2 Likes

Please add a 3rd host to TWiCH. It would help make it more of a conversation. It currently feels like just a review of news articles. Maybe the 3rd host could be a PC enthusiast like Paul from Paul’s Hardware or one of the other more respectable youtubers. I know its hard to find a respectable youtuber, LOL. But they are definitely enthusiasts and are elbow deep in hardware builds, etc.

3 Likes

Instead of a photography show, why not do a show dedicated to AV Tech and media production and then a show about radio production and podcasting, i.e. focusing in on gear and recording/production techniques, etc.

4 Likes

Or a show dedicated to digital forensics

3 Likes

Adding on to what CREASE said (and I’ve thought about this a lot): Turn TWiCH into This Week in Computers. Make it a roundtable discussion (third host, or three hosts plus a remote guest), have time for news as well as a segment for things like monthly build (computers, but even SFF builds, Raspberry Pis, VR, custom keyboards… Flo would be nice to have on for this), tips and tricks, etc. Could also have desktop software news and reviews. But plenty of fun, hands-on stuff.

This would be a good show to bring up Linux and BSD more, or have a good entire segment (fun bumpers a plus; I think this makes AAA more fun). Prioritize posting segments to YouTube/stream to Twitch, as you’ll draw in more of the tech tuber audience, which skews a little younger than TWiT currently does (though you do get some younger callers on TTG occasionally). Have guests on whenever poasible.

PC World does something like this with their “The Full Nerd” podcast, and I think it’s a good bridge between the TWiT model and the big streaming platforms, which I assume you want to reach (and HOT addresses this in part). It would be easy to assume people don’t care about “speeds and feeds” anymore, but the success of all the tech tubers (Linus Tech Tips, Paul’s Hardware, Jayztwocents, Gamer’s Nexus… I could go on) and Reddit subreddits show that the community is thriving.

4 Likes

I think you just reinvented The Screen Savers @ZivZulander

7 Likes

True, there is a lot of that :smiley: That show is a bit unfocused, though. It’s more of a general tech variety show (I know that was the idea), whereas what I am proposing would be more nitty gritty, desktop computing stuff.

3 Likes

LOL, Anything to get you and Patrick back on screen together nerding out in Utilikilts :smiley:

5 Likes

Linux & Gaming are both good ideas I would certainly watch.

I was thinking maybe a monthly show with a one-off topic would be really cool. You could tackle things a bit more in depth that don’t get a lot of coverage on the network but also don’t really work as their own show. Topics like:

Tech Journalism - everyone that contributes is a tech journalist/writer and I would love more insight into what your research grinds are like, how it was getting into the industry back in the day vs today, the struggles and tribulations of a freelance writer.
Tech History - History of Linux, history of AI, maybe some newer type history like IOT.
Tech Politics - The state of the worlds tech policies, like authoritarian restrictions in China, how the GRPD could be improved, lack of regulation in the states

I could go on! Anyway, thats my idea. A monthly one-off of a topic not normally covered but with enough time between episodes to do lots of good in depth research to make for a deep and rich program.

5 Likes

How about…

Giz Whiz 2020 :slight_smile: (because what MAD did to Dick was terrible)

Also… A vintage tech show… discussing old tech and reviewing vintage stuff… Like Apple IIC, 2001 iMac, the Newton, older iPhones, etc… This would also give Leo a reason to dig out all his old tech that he’s sitting in front of :smiley: We wanna seeeee! Haha! I’m a huge vintage tech lover, and I know there are many more of us vintage techies out there.

BB

7 Likes

There’s always a danger with very niche shows of being too technical/inside baseball which excludes new viewers/listeners to the topic and just preaches to the choir, or at the other extreme being watered down to cater for everyone which then excludes the pros.

This Week In Tech is a great general show which hits on several different levels of depth, as well as subject matter, although I often think tech is a much broader topic than the usual news sources about phones and the failings of social networks and privacy/security violations… perhaps some additional areas like advances in other areas of tech could be included for variety - agriculture, enterprise, industry, science.

As a format, @Leo and @mikahsargent doing the new iPhone unboxing was a brilliant breath of fresh air! It was informal, carefree, with handheld cameras and general feeling of excitement and interest. Great work! These chatty formats make for wonderful viewing, which is why This Week In Google works so well!

8 Likes

True about niche shows, but I’m sure someone would have brought that point up before Leo and Steve started doing Security Now. A very geeky, technical podcast about computer security and privacy? Who cares about that?

As with most things, I think what can justify at least an attempt is whether or not you have people who are knowledgable, passionate about the subject, and committed to making it work, and that’s what really makes these shows succeed: the hosts.

5 Likes

Yes indeed :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A tech cooking show. I use sous vide, pressure cookers, OnePot, instant thermometer, Infrared thermometer, steam oven, digital scale. I do week ahead meal planning and prep with the sous vide mostly - but incorporate other devices. Tech makes cooking so much more fun!

10 Likes

I feel like Leo and Alex Lindsay would definitely be into this idea.

5 Likes

I would watch the heck out of this. Just no automatic roti makers, as I have the self-control of Leo and I don’t have the counter space :upside_down_face:

It’s definitely been brought up on the podcasts before, but I can’t remember if it was said why it’s a no-go. Leo does seem like one of the perfect people to play the- what do they call the person in informercials who plays dumb and acts amazed at everything? :grin: (I mean that as a compliment: Leo is an excellent pitchman). Hmm. Or better comparison is Chris Kimball from America’s Test Kitchen/Milk Street, since this wouldn’t be for pushing products but evaluating them and trying different cooking methods.

4 Likes

I’m with you on the automatic roti makers. :grin:

2 Likes