What makes a good podcast?

I think a lot of what I look for comes down to trust.

• Hosts who are subject matter experts and know what they’re talking about. This is something TWiT does really well.
  • Shows where there are good discussions rather than reading off predefined points. This goes back to requiring hosts who have the knowledge to talk around a subject. 3 hosts feels best for having a variety of opinions while still keeping everyone involved in discussions.
  • Hosts who can keep an open mind and are not too focused on pushing a certain narrative. Windows Weekly is really good at this - Paul and Mary Jo certainly aren’t afraid to criticise MS when they deserve it.
  • I appreciate the video and studio sets. It adds a level of professionalism and trustworthiness.
  • I know it’s difficult to do, but having all guests in studio takes the chemistry to the next level.
  • A topic I’m interested in. TWiT is good with this having shows for the major tech topics and ecosystems. I outlined in the future shows topic that I’d love to see some wider subjects such as science and gaming covered.
  • Finally I love it when shows have occasional ‘special’ episodes to change the pace. Chris Capossela on WW. The TWiT Christmas Specials. Live events etc.
1 Like