General Questions

This thread is to ask general photography questions that don’t refer back to a specific episode.

1 Like

What is the normal aspect ratio? The one that photo are usually printed in I noticed that the photos I take on my phone are a little square looking.

1 Like

Your phone will probably take photos in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Most common photo paper size is probably 6” x 4” which is a slightly wider aspect ratio resulting in slight cropping when you print them.

1 Like

Any advice on how to get good photos of the moon using a smartphone camera?
Took pictures of the Super Wolf Blood Moon in January 2019 off NW coast of Norway. Moon was at least 3-5 degrees of sky, and very distinct orange. Every photo resulted in tiny orange dot in the sky.
Ended up “cheating” to have a record of what I actually saw for my personal use. Photoshopped moon from another’s photo, taken nearby.

1 Like

Try to capture some of the horizon. Seeing a large morn is mainly an optical illusion (super moon is when the moon is closest, but it is still very far away). Moon looks especially large when close to the horizon especially when there are buildings to contrast with it.

1 Like

Very hard to do on a boat. We were on a Hurtigruten ferry. Will try to find examples and post later.

I also find smartphone cameras are too wide. For any moon shots that fill the frame, you probably still want a significant zoom.

Second photo is mine from iphone6. Good one was from a Swedish photographer, Hans Aberg, posted on Space.com on 21 January.
Sounds like you are telling me the only way I get a photo of what I see is to spend lots of money on camera, or get it from other photographers.

1 Like

Photographing the moon is always going to be challenging with a smartphone. The first pic probably has a large zoom or a telescope and a tripod.

Here is one photo from 2011 taken on a Canon EOS 350D with a 300mm telephoto (on a tripod). So zoomed in a lot. To fill the frame, I would have needed a much longer zoom, or with modern cameras with 20mp+ resolution, cropped.

4 Likes

Here’s one for you…is it worth it to take an online photography course for a beginner? If so, any you would highly recommend? If you prefer in person classes, where did you look to find a good one (adult education, community college, clubs)?

Having looked at the first couple of episodes, I’d recommend Ant’s HoP show on TWiT.

I learnt through my father’s photography magazines, back in the 70s and his tuition. I also learnt a lot from My Way With a Camera by Victor Blackman. Victor was a renowned photographer back in the “good old days”, doing everything from photostudio work to being a photo-journalist. Interesting and gives a lot of background in how a camera works and how to make the right shot.

Learning back when film was expensive and I had to pay for the development out of my pocket money got me to really think about the shots and framing.

I’ve never done online courses. I prefer hands on. Our local Hochschule does photography courses for different types of photography and there are some photography clubs around here as well.

3 Likes

Thank you! And yes, I started with Ant’s show :grinning:.

1 Like

I would say, find a friendly photography club that goes out on photoshoots and offers help and advice.

Don’t be scared to try several groups, some can have arrogant or unfriendly members who only criticize and offer little or no help in improving your skills.

1 Like

What happen to the audio on this week hand on photography or it was focus on photography. I could hardly follow the show. Although it seem to have good content from the little I could follow

1 Like

I signed up with Udemy and purchased a course on photography called Photography Masterclass. It was on offer, consists of over 300 lectures, no more than 5 mins each, haven’t started it yet, just finishing an iMovie course. Take a look and see what you think.
( I am not associated with Udemy )

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I will check it out.

I take most of my travel pictures with my Pixel 2 XL. But the lack of optical zoom is a problem. I have a Nikon P510 with 42X zoom which takes great pics but is larger/heavier than I want to carry going forward. What are the recommendations for a compact zoom camera that I would use hand-held? Brand/model? Zoom power? Other?

1 Like

I used a Nikon P510 using Night Landscape and max optical (42X) plus digital zoom to take this one.

7 Likes

Question to anyone re street photography, specifically of people (general public) and I accept there are nuances between cultures/countries e.g. US v Australia. (I am from Aus) So my question is - when you are out and about randomly shooting people doing whatever they are doing out and about, how does everyone approach the “permission” to take someones photo, I feel it is an invasion of privacy?? Do you ask permission before you randomly take someones photo, or do you take the photo then show the subject and ask if ok to keep?? (delete if they say no) Just wonder what you US guys do, because I see some terrific (up close & personal) photos online from over there.

1 Like

Is that Moon Base Alpha I see there on the bottom right? :wink:

Great shot.

3 Likes