The Photo Thread: Week of 2022-01-16

283409 has something to say

7 Likes

Lol! Clearly a “caption this” shot

2 Likes

Captions welcome! If anyone is curious, I’ll reveal what he was really saying in a few days.

1 Like

Taking “street photography” literally :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Hey, that’s my bathwater, go find your own!

3 Likes

Just snowy enough

Fumbled my phone when taking a panorama created an interesting artefact. I wonder why that tear looks so random like a piece of ripped paper… Maybe it’s the AI trying to piece things together that don’t belong.

4 Likes

Tiny snails… taken on iPhone 11 with Halide’s macro feature.

9 Likes

Went out onto the balcony to take a snap of the moon on my Canon EOS M50. Surprising how good modern sensors are as I took this without a tripod. I’m using an old Canon 55-250mm EF-S lens and a Viltrox adapter.

6 Likes

Amazing. I tried similar a while back with a Nikon and 300mm Nikkor VR. What surprised me was how quickly the moon moves!

5 Likes

You can also tell I’m on the other side of the world by where that crater is :joy:

Yes, first ever moon shot I did I used a 30 second shutter and it was blurry as heck! I learnt that the moon is pretty damned bright, and just need a low ISO and fairly fast shutter speed. I’ll have to try again with a tripod, but it’ll be midnight soon and I need to work tomorrow.

4 Likes

Yeah, mine is with the tripod.

Focussing was the challenge for me. Use the rear screen, zoom the screen in as much as poss and I used the edge of the moon and manual focus. You have to be quick 'cos it moves :slightly_smiling_face:

I then locked the focus ring with a bit of tape, then you can concentrate on composition.

Back out in FL at the moment. They’re rebuilding the old pier after Matthew/Irma. I guess that’s a temporary pier next to it to support the construction equipment.

Not my rental BTW!

4 Likes

Those piers look similar to the new causeway at Victor Harbor that goes over to Granite Island. The original wooden one on the left is being dismantled next month

And here is the causeway from further back, including the horse-drawn tram that takes tourists to and from the mainland (old causeway on the left only open to pedestrians until it gets pulled down).

4 Likes

Very nice. How do you like the Halide app? I took a similar photo on my iPhone 12 Pro using the phone’s built-in camera app.

Jerry

6 Likes

Had a rare snowfall in the Southeast US. Took this the other day while walking my dog on a frigid afternoon.

3 Likes

Halide is okay. Manual controls are fiddly, but I just use it for the macro mode as the iPhone 11 doesn’t have macro.

1 Like