Deafening background please filter and master CES adventures w/o show noise

Took awhile to find the CES coverage you promised, promoted and it’s great!
However, the type of continuous murmur, mumble, chaotic background noise has me white knuckled so I have to hope you will be able to filter out the heavy torturous water-boarding distraction soon.
Maybe Bob Heil can provide the dials?
I want to see all of your CES stuff but, well,if you subtitle them then that would take care of my personal hearing issues.
Yeah, that’s gonna be fine otherwise how can I filter out the continuous unwanted levels?
Thanks

3 Likes

The short answer is you can’t filter it out. Nor, if you want an authentic CES experience, should you try. The problem, if you consider it such, is that no individual [directional/localized] [lav] mic’s were used, so the only sound that was recorded was ambient. You could potentially use a band-pass filter, and cut some of the noise out (along with chopping off highs and lows of people’s voices) but since the vocal range of humans overlaps with the background noise, it’s going to be near impossible to do a great job of separating one from the other.

4 Likes

What he said :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

I also had trouble hearing some of the audio. It will cost more but a sound man/woman with a direction boom mic is needed.

1 Like

This was their first time at CES for ages and experimenting a stripped down set up. Did pretty well for just a camera. I don’t know if a shotgun mic was used or not, but a more directional one work work great. I’m sure next time it will be much better. Overall, I think the coverage was great and there was plenty of detail on the products and interviews.

3 Likes

Leo’s already saying they’re not covering it next year. I hope he changes his mind… Maybe just sends TWiT hosts there at least…

1 Like

I didn’t get much (well any really) value from the coverage this year. I don’t blame Leo et al. for this… I just don’t think much of any real interest happens at CES any more.

2 Likes

I’m going to second that reaction. I thought the reporting was great, but I only enjoyed seeing Ant & Leo having fun being at the show, not the show itself.

My attitude may be skewed by having manned a few stands at shows myself: it always seemed to be an exhausting and boring way of getting a few brief, confused conversations with potential contacts that had to be followed up electronically to be of any value. /grump

3 Likes

It was a minimal set-up for them. They probably should have gone with some wireless lav mics but oh well. I didnt bother me too much.

3 Likes

I noticed that the BBC minimal recording setup (phone camera) used a lavalier mic on the interviewee on a long wire. Not very good for freedom of movement, but maybe wireless had issues in a minimal setup?

I thought Leo & Ant did really well with getting the coverage they did, considering the whole setup was an experiment. Although the sound didn’t give me any problems despite my own hearing difficulties (mostly tinnitus), I can see that too much background noise could be really difficult for anyone with reduced hearing discrimination, which I suffer from a bit - when that’s bad you can end up fighting to pick out the voice you want to follow from the rest of the sound.

I think the experiment was an overall success, and suspect it was much less “in your face” for the interviewees. I hope that made getting good interviews easier. If the things that got criticised can be improved on for next time (and a lot of issues were sorted during the week), then I think it’s going to be fine for future events.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the coverage - it was fun.

The noise seemed worse based on playback speed for me. When listening, I use 1.5x. When watching videos, 1.0x. The noise was pretty bad listening @ 1.5, but not so noticeable when watching at 1.0.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried listening at 1.5, but does that raise the pitch of the background noise, and could that be the reason it’s more noticeable?

1 Like

I thought it was great. For what I paid to watch it, it was worth it. If I was paying $14.95/month for 4K content then maybe I would complain about it.

2 Likes

i recently came upon IA software from https://krisp.ai/ looks to be a promising example of technology, u also have online scrum services like https://audiodenoise.com/ mabye upload a test mp3 and see if that helps. you can download YT clips 2 mp3 and mp4 with ytmp3.cc