More Live Events?

Last week I saw Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway’s Live Pivot podcast recording in Toronto. Over the last year, I’ve gone to more live podcast recordings that movies.

I quite enjoy watching podcasts live and seeing the community come out. Should TWiT start doing more of these across the U.S., and [fingers crossed] Canada?

It has definitely become a trend and I’m glad to hear that this week TWiT is doing a live event in Boston.

I would be all for it, I believe it would help grow TWiT and help bring the community together all across the world. Knowing that most TWiT hosts broadcast from the comfort of home I would imagine it wouldn’t be a simple thing to organize.

2 Likes

I think I heard that Mikah and Leo will be doing CES this year and doing a bunch of live streams from there? Maybe I misheard who the hosts will be?

Anyways I agree that live shows would be cool, but I bet the expense of putting them on is what prevents more (any?) from happening

1 Like

Oh yeah, you’re right. They had mentioned CES.

They would definitely be expensive to organize on their own but could be done more strategically within conferences like CES which would ensure an audience.

1 Like

Like when Leo crowd surfed at South By?

1 Like

I love the idea of more live events. It’s a cost and scheduling issue. Right now we do it if a sponsor pays for it (like this week’s Lastpass panel).

Ant and I will be covering CES on the cheap - uploading short videos from our favorite booths. We’re targeting about 20 of these, plus a top 10 at the end. We’re going to shoot these guerilla-style.

Those big booths we used to do at CES and NAB cost $100K+. As much as I’d like to do that it just wouldn’t be prudent.

4 Likes

Totally fair. This said I know I would buy a ticket for a live event.

How many people were there? Did it require tickets? Did they charge?

If we could charge for these events it might justify the expense.

1 Like

It was part of Elevate Toronto…which like every conference these days billed itself as the SXSW of whatever. Minimum ticket prices were @500 per person for the conference as a whole. There were close to 150-200 in attendance.

We (my wife and I) have paid for live podcast shows… somewhere around 30-50$ per ticket.

Seeing how good the video capturing quality of the iPhone and the Samsung flagship phone nowadays, doing guerilla style with a mobile gimbal and a mobile mic with fluffy windblocker is totally workable.

Thank you Leo and crew for doing CES. I live in Vegas and wish I could go…
just can’t figure out a way to sneak in lol… Keep up the good work …you keep us truckers content with great things to listen to and learn…

3 Likes