Audio sci-fi books recommendations

what think of the star trek books can get
these throw nls talking book for blind and
handycaped and book share and learing ally all same as nls talking book there audio what think of these i know steve gipsion love sifi books

2 Likes

Sure seems worth trying one to see if you enjoy it.

If you are thinking of just getting into sci-fi, suggest Isaac Asimov robot series as a good start. Expect NLS would have his books.

I don’t know if your local library uses Libby or not, but you should be able to borrow audio books from your library through Libby. I listened to all of Larry Niven’s Ringworld series for example.

1 Like

Any other I have bookshare and learning ally also same as NLS but there own compsny

Any one else care to chime in?

There does not seem to be a lot of star trek book on audio, I would check wt your library…

There are 317 Star Trek titles available for download at Downpour.com, but of course one has to pay for those.

I find Steve’s favorite Peter F. Hamilton books to be worth purchasing because $12.99 can keep you busy for quite a while. Great North Road, for example, is 36.5 hours long.

1 Like

Looks like I am wrong, I was looking at audio.com

Probably old info for you, but just in case, a lot, if not most, public libraries offer on line services, including getting a library card, and “borrowing” audio books from special digital library services, such as Overdrive, Hoopla, and Libby. All these offer science fiction titles.

In some US states, residency in the state gets you the right to join libraries outside your town or city.

When you sign up for a library, their website will provide info on digital media access.

Is Dr who good show to watch I know its on Pluto TV the classic new one on BBC america?

It is not your big screen, high energy, shot em up sci fi, well worth giving a try. Most of the time each episode is a stand alone story, but there is an on going thread through the entire series.
All time favourite episode is David Tennent, series 3, episode 10, Blink. Trying to follow the time line exercises the mind.

Don’t want scary one I would be up all night but this one don’t scar me at all now I read there lost episode of dr who what can you tell me sorry about this new tour who can go to library to check out dvd as well as stream then

If the Weeping Angels don’t scare you, nothing in any Dr Who will.

Expeditionary Force is a really shootable sci-fi series with some adultish humor.

The Expanse is much better than the SyFy series and delves deeper into the politics

We Are Legion is another look at AI

1 Like

I pick audio books more by the reader than the author. It can be a great book but if the reader is bad, I just can;t listen to it. My favorite reader is Scott Brick.

1 Like

Many months ago Steve discussed a series of books which opened portals between worlds and collapsed certain dimensions so objects could be transported through the portals. Does anyone know which series/author this might be?

I have probably messed up the description, but I hope it makes sense.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not a huge sci-fi fan. But I LOVED listening to The Martian.
Leo interviewed the author: https://twit.tv/shows/twit-bits/episodes/165

Special thanks to @mdzi. for helping me solve this riddle.

The book was Peter Hamilton’s Salvation. I goofed on the premise. Apparently, they made small portals which could be physically sent to their destinations. Then a long skinny portal could be sent through it. Then the long skinny portal could be used to transport a full size portal for large cargo.

Now, I need to try to find it the book. Preferably on Audio.

Thanks again!!

I loved it growing up as a kid, but it got a bit kitsch in the late 70s and early 80s, then lost its way in the 90s. The new ones are okay, but I’m still a fan of the original doctors.

The problem is, a lot of the original series have been lost, because the BBC was low on money and recorded over the master tapes! Old shows turn up now and then, as people find them on old tapes and they are remastered.

A lot of very well known and renowned sci-fi writers got their start with or have written Dr. Who over the decades. In the 60s and 70s a lot of the stories appeared in paper back as well.

William Hartnell - the original doctor and a little scary.
Peter Cushing - played the Doctor in 2 films in the 60s.
Patrick Troughton - 2nd incarnation, was more light hearted
Jon Pertwee - 3rd incarnation, very light hearted, a dandy.
Tom Baker - 4th incarnation, probably the most well known and most loved doctor, comical, forgetful, had K9, a robotic dog as his assistant. Probably also the most lampooned doctor.
Peter Davison - 5th incarnation, very different, dressed as an Edwardian cricket player.
Colin Baker - 6th incarnation, short run as the doctor, probably the least well known.
Syvester McCoy - 7th incarnation, a comedian who pretty much ruined the series and was the last doctor, before it went on hiatus for a decade and a half.
Paul McGann - appeared in a TV film about the Doctor, a one off appearance in 1996 (Doctor Who - the film)

Then the new series started in 2005.
Christopher Eccelstone - I found the series interesting, but it had lost some of its magic.
David Tennant - was very good.
Matt Smith
John Hurt
Peter Capaldi - I’ve seen a few of these episodes, I found him very good.
Jodie Whittaker

I haven’t seen much from the newer series, it isn’t shown very often, here in Germany.

I started watching at the tail end the Tom Baker era and it was the Peter Davison era that I remember the most from classic Who. Paul McGann was good in the one-off movie I thought. He reprised the role in one of the web specials leading up to the 50th anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor. It was called The Night of the Doctor and showed him regenerating into the War Doctor, played by John Hurt.

I thought some of the stories in the latest season with Jodie Whittaker a bit weak - waaaay too much sonic screwdriver for a start. Maybe it’ll take Chris Chibnall a little time to get into his stride.

1 Like