What are you reading and streaming? What are your reading lists?

Much like Steve Gibson before Security Now, I think most of us geeks really enjoy sharing what we’re reading or watching, or something we’ve really enjoyed in the past. I’ll start with my currents:

3 Likes

I’m going to embarrass myself and reveal the last book I read was the final Harry Potter book about a week before the first of the two movies was about to come out. Since that time, my middle age vision changes have made me tire too quickly when attempting to read a book. These days I mostly read tech news, on sites like Ars Technica.

I don’t really have anything on TV I consider must see… I probably watch far too much of TWiT Live :smiley: I tried Netflix for the free 30 days when it was still kinda new, and was pretty disappointed by them not really having many top run movies… so never considered staying a member.

As for live TV for me is mostly the CBC News Network. Oh… in a couple of months I will watch a lot of curling and a little hockey too… like a good Canadian :slight_smile:

I am a pretty boring person by most people’s media content standards… LOL but I make up for it in nerdiness :grin:

1 Like

Streaming would be TWiT Live and No Agenda show. Reading would be 2600 magazine, yes the physical version, gotta support and share :slight_smile:

1 Like

Audible, my friend. Audible! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sam Sykes “Grave of Empires” series 1: Seven Blades in Black; and, just finished 2: The Gallows Black… looking forward to the next one!

Very excited to get Salvation Lost, Peter F Hamilton’s “The Salvation Sequence” Book 2. Preordered; will be on my Kindle on October 29! The first book, Salvation, was outstanding!

1 Like

from Book 1’s description:

It had me at Star Gate.

Thanks for the recommendation @Jammerb. I put this one on my Kindle.

Hamilton’s Commonwealth series (highly recommended) and other stories have a universe where we’ve mastered wormholes. In the Salvation Sequence, they carry quantum entangled portals in their pockets!

1 Like

Insert "Is that a quantum entangled portal in your pocket, or … " joke here.

2 Likes

Fiction: Wanderes by Chuck Wendig
Non-Fiction: Lifesccale by Brian Solis
Streaming: finishing up Succession season 1.

1 Like

Listening to on Audible (Subscribed because of TWiT):
Headspace guide to Meditation & Mindfulness.

Watching & Streaming: Nat Geo - One Strange Rock (Will Smith), The Chef Show (Chef Roy Choi & John Favreau), Titan Season 1.

2 Likes

Re-listening to (via Audible) the Silo series by Hugh Howey. Currently on the final book “Dust.”
Then I’ll be back to the “Gods of the Upper Air” by Charles King. Recommendation of Mr Jeff Jarvis.

2 Likes

I’m finding Audible is, indeed, becoming my “go-to” source for entertainment when I have down time, or when I (rarely) get to drive farther than our downtown.

One of the “Audible Originals” has me listening to, “The Home Front: Life in America During World War II.” It’s well presented, has many recordings from the era, and I’ve already learned more than I probably forgot from the teaching of that era in my school years.

I think had we been able to have things like Audible and more video history programs that today are common; back when I was in school, I’d have been a better student of history. Funny thing is, I didn’t think I’d have interest in this particular book, but gave it a try on Audible, and I find myself looking forward to each chapter when I take a breakfast break after early morning work.

Since I don’ ever just sit and read, Audible has married technology of “any device” to my desire to stretch my brain a bit, and …it works! (By the way this is not a paid endorsement…I just enjoy their service.)

Other than that, and again, not saying this because of where this form originates, on the weekends, it’s TWIT where Netcasts are concerned. Good thing my work is also my passion or I’d be considered boring.

Oh, and in October, our radio station usually borrows (with permission) some content from Campfire Radio Theater, an online suspense and horror site in England for some of our Halloween content. They do an excellent job of scaring the listener and coming up with new stories that fit October SO well. They also graciously allow us to broadcast (with editing for language if needed) their material which we mix-in with classic Halloween audio stories.

2 Likes

I am reading “It Came From Something Awful: How a Toxic Troll Army Accidentally Memed Donald Trump into Office” by Dale Beran who is really writing about the evolution of 4chan.
I saw him on C-span’s Book TV - https://www.c-span.org/video/?463096-1/it-awful.
I browse Book TV on weekends and often end up reading a book after seeing part or all of an author talk. This one is fascinating by someone who had the unique experience of being there in 4chan early days .

When not listening to TWIT shows I have downloaded to my cell, I like Leo, love to listen to audible books. I am currently listening to “Permanent Record” by Edward Snowden , Interestingly as a young person Snowden was very involved in anime culture. Dale Beran talks about the anime culture obsession in early 4chan.

1 Like

Every Thursday night, I watch Critical Role where “a bunch of nerdy ass voice actors play Dungeons & Dragons.”

Is it Thursday yet?

1 Like

I’ve recently dropped Audible for Scribd, but I gotta say, @RadioJim, that The Home Front: Life in America During World War II read by Martin Sheen might be interesting enough for me to buy out-of-membership, since it’s just $10. Thanks for the recommendation!

May I know why you’ve picked up Scribd instead? What features attracted you to move from Audible?

1 Like

Current faves as of 10/1/19 -

Book: 1984 by George Orwell (need I say more? a classic)
Podcast: Windows Weekly ('cos I’m both a Mac & PC fanboy) :slight_smile:
Music: Heartbeat City by The Cars (in tribute!)
Netflix: Black Mirror (favorite series)
Movie: Magnolia (hadn’t seen it in years)
Magazine: MAD (final issue out today) :frowning:

BB

1 Like

Warning, potentially TMI and a long answer.

Don’t get me wrong. Audible is still a good service. I prefer that it lets you keep the books forever. (I have 170 in my library.) But in the run-up to the New Star Wars (Episode 7), Lucas/Disney made the choice to basically trash the market for a whole genre of books focused on what’s now known as “Legends” by declaring them non-canonical. And with that, the steady stream of pretty good Star Wars books really got choked off, and so did my need for a book (or 2) every month.

I hung around for quite a while and got some things off my wish list, added some really educational Great Courses content, but overall, I just found myself having to use credits because I had to rather than because there was a book I wanted to read.

And even though Scribd has the shortcoming of using the Netflix model (stop paying and you lose it), it does have some other benefits, and that’s what honestly drew me in. Namely:

1. Scribd is more than just books. I has unique documents that can be diverse and sheet music that’s hard to find elsewhere.
  2. Scribd includes Blinkist for free, which I love. I previously was paying for Blinkist on its own. Blinkist lets me get the meat of non-fiction books, quickly.
  3. Scribd includes Pocket Premium, which is my preferred “full text” archive/bookmark service.

Long answer, but that’s why. Audible is still on my home screen because I still listen to it daily, but going forward, Audible will need to either add value or reduce price to bring me back.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Audible and Scribd.
I listen to nonfiction/educational titles on Audible nowadays. I used to listen to some Star Wars titles, but was disappointed by the new Thrawn saga as compared to the old Thrawn trilogy.
Do agree Audible needs to reduce the price. :grin:

1 Like

My pleasure and thanks! Your experience is similar to mine. I just ended up with so many non-fiction books banked for later that I ended up switching. And I am “ok” with both new and old Thrawn, but it was really the ending of the Fate of the Jedi series that started to wrap it up for me. I wished we could pick that one up where it left off, but with New Star Wars, that won’t happen. Claudia Gray saved the Star Wars fiction genre for me, for a while, but Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath series was unbearable.