What Are You Reading?

@Leo Several times on multiple twit shows you have talked about books you’ve enjoyed reading, It would be painful to go back through the transcribed audio, could you list a top 10 of your favorite books?

Cheers

3 Likes

That’s a great question. There are some old posts on my blog with my Audible recommendations:

Definitely needs to be updated. I’ll give you a few - not necessarily my top 10, that would be hard - but some books I really love.

Fiction
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
Fallen Dragon - Peter F. Hamilton
Neuromancer - William Gibson
The Aubrey-Maturin Series - Patrick O’Brien
Lincoln in the Bardo - George Saunders
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles
The Martian - Andy Weir
Daemon - Daniel Suarez

Non-Fiction
Microcosm - George Gilder
Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari
The Soul of a New Machine - Tracy Kidder
Hackers - Steve Levy

Programming
Starting Forth - Leo Brodie
The C Programming Language - Kernighan and Ritchie
How To Design Programs - Felleisen et al.

5 Likes

ooo I like this topic, can we expand to everyone’s recommendations?

I’ve been on a history and non-fic kick this year:

• Presidents of War - Michael Beschloss
  • The China Mirage - James Bradley
  • The Coddling of the American Mind - Jonathan Haidt/Greg Lukianoff
  • How to Build a Car - Adrian Newey
  • Forgotten Soldiers - Brian Moynahan
  • The Order of Time - Carlo Rovelli
  • Network-Centric Warfare - Norman Friedman
  • House of Bush House of Saud - Craig Unger
  • Reality is Not What it Seems - Carlo Rovelli
3 Likes

Shattered Galaxy - Scott Bartlett
Gravity Dreams - L.E. Modesitt
Kill Decision - Daniel Suarez
Marine - Joshua Dalzelle
The Ocean at the end of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Starborn and Godsons - Niven, Pournelle, Barnes
Delta-v - Daniel Suarez
Seveneves - Neil Stephenson

2 Likes

Really enjoyed Delta-V! I’ve been following Suarez since they had him on Triangulation back in the day.

1 Like

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars X wing series and Star Trek New Frontier series.

Oh also the Star Wars Thrawn series.

2 Likes

That’s why I started reading Suarez also

I’m reading Sapiens right now. Great book!

2 Likes

Reading too little these days, but I found these very interesting:
Non-fiction: Desmond Morris - The Lives of the Surrealists (a great reassurance that everything is ok if you either think your life is too exciting or too bland)
Fiction: Cixin Liu - The Wandering Earth (an interesting exploration and thought experiment in form of a collage of stories)

2 Likes

I’m listening to Qualityland 2.0 from Mark Uwe Kling, excellent and very funny look at a distopian life run by a giant online retailer, a giant search engine, a giant advertising company, a giant social network and a giant dating service…

I am also reading the 2nd in Jodi Tayloy’s Time Police series (Hard Time), it is a great continuation, following on from the odd “Team Wierd”, now they have finished basic training (1st book, Doing Time), now they are let loose on the time line to track down and rescue a damsel, very certainly not in distress, then go after the “time tourist” agency that left her stranded in 17th Century London, much to London’ chagrin.

This is a parallel series to her Chronicles of St. Mary’s. That is a really great read, I have already pre-ordered the Christmas short-story and the next full length novel, which is due out in April.

Interestingly, the series started nearly a decade ago, with the premise that:

• the USA built a wall around its border and isolated itself
  • the UK left the EU
  • there was a big pandemic that desimated the human race.

Being a book on time travel, Jodi has been facing some awkward accusations this year on Twitter! :smiley: :crazy_face:

1 Like