Audio sci-fi books recommendations

There are a lot of radio plays made for BBC if you can get hold of them - the same actors as in the TV series usually, and a lot of audio novels too.

Doctor Who can be a bit love it or hate it.

If you want to go full British, I loved Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels, most available as audio books, and the original Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio series (which came before the books) - I wouldn’t bother with the one written after Douglas Adams’ death, by Eoin Colfer (author of Artemis Fowl novels); it is terrible.

Hard sci-fi,my favourite author is Stephen Baxter.

1 Like

I started listening to The Martian again. Can you believe it was Andy Weir’s first novel? Artemis, his next book is quite good too, but not as good as The Martian.

2 Likes

Agree… When is Artemis the movie coming out?

I’m currently enjoying Expeditionary Force and the Bobiverse series. Both have great voice actors on audible. Expeditionary Force recently had a audio drama called “Homefront” come out. I didn’t enjoy that format as much, but Robert Picardo and Kate Mulgrew were some of the voice actors so that made it more enjoyable.

3 Likes

Loved The Martian - riveting

1 Like

Any comments on the Bobiverse series by Dennis Taylor? I really enjoyed them. He kept the “far out” aliens to a minimum, and I thought he kept to believable and realistic technology.
I enjoy space opera I can understand.

1 Like

IMDB says 2021, but no official announcement. Captain Marvel screenwriter is doing the adaptation: