WW 860: An Unexpected Visitor

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

So nice to see MJ for the holidays! I’m pretty sure that was the longest Xbox segment of the year :rofl:

1 Like

That was one of the best presents possible! Great to see @MaryJo back!

1 Like

@MaryJo We MISSED you! I’ve wistfully listened again to older episodes with you and, gosh, we lost a real one. I know your new adventures must be fantastic, too.

//

Re: the 2024 Windows refresh / Windows 12

OEMs are publicly salivating for upcoming six months. Higher minimum hardware best justifies these rather transparent admissions:

Intel CFO (Sept 2023): “We actually think '24 is going to be a pretty good year for client, in particular, because of the Windows refresh. And we still think that the installed base is pretty old and does require a refresh and we think next year maybe the start of that, given the Windows catalyst. So we’re optimistic about how things will play out beginning in '24.”

Lenovo SVP (Oct 2023): “You will see systems that are able to process data at 40 trillion operations per second and even more. And then combined with certain software upgrades, the experience will jump really to the next level, and I believe we are confident this will deliver productivity and also spark a significant replacement cycle in the PC.” … Rossi hinted that the AI it uses will be similar to Google’s Bard but “at the client level,” and “traditional tasks” that took two hours “will now take two minutes.”

“An AI PC,” he added, “is a PC that learns about you continuously, it’s a PC that is your personal foundation model within the data within the PC and it is a PC that will be able to interact with you more naturally.”

HP CEO (Oct 2023): Beyond all this, AI PCs “will be a great opportunity to drive renewal devices that will be more expensive… So it’s gonna bring a lot of energy back to the category.”

I’m with Richard: Windows 12 is the name just to drive sales, with AI PCs as the final branding name (e.g., I believe minimum 45 TOPs of neural processing power has been suggested as the benchmark to have an AI PC). If so, many users / organizations may skip Windows 11 entirely.

This lines up with Zac Bowden’s sources:

The company is working on a new history/timeline feature that will let users scroll back in time through all the apps and websites that Copilot has remembered, which can be filtered based on a user’s specific search criteria. For example, you could type “FY24 earnings” and every instance where that term was on-screen will reappear for you to see and open.

Microsoft is also working on an “advanced Copilot,” that builds off the Copilot experience we already have on Windows 11. This new Copilot will be able to remember activities and things you do on your PC, and turn everything into a searchable memory that you can refer back to at any time, enhancing Windows Search as a whole.

1 Like

We had just finished a PC refresh at the end of 2019, because Windows 7 was going out of support. Then came Corona and a lot of those new PCs were replaced again by laptops as people had to work from home, so we have a lot of 4 year old kit, so still a long way from a refresh.

Attrition is the only thing causing us to buy new PCs.

1 Like