Windows 20......04

Hi Mary Jo … Love the Windows Weekly show and watch the video version as much as I can.

Question: The Windows 2004 update has shown up in my Update section on my Dell Windows 10 machine. I have not downloaded it and am wondering if I should or just let it hang there for a while. My laptop is a new Dell and I am running the latest version of Windows 10 (up to the 2004 update). Seems that you and Paul have basically said it has way too many problems at this point.

We also talked about this yesterday on Security Now. I think it’s best to wait a bit. There are definitely issues. And there’s nothing in 20.04 that you need right now. Always install critical patches right away. Feature updates are best when aged a few weeks.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply! I’ll just let the update notification sit there until it’s safer to move forward with it. Working from home office these days the one thing I don’t need is a bricked laptop! Thank you again…

1 Like

I was working from home until very recently - that is why I have passed too, up to now…

1 Like

I must be a sucker… I installed 2004 as soon as it was released. No problems so far. I’m on a self built machine running a Ryzen 3 1300X.

Contrast with my work laptop which is on Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 (Intel Core i7-8550U, 16GB RAM)

3 Likes

Lucky you. :slight_smile:

I am waiting :slight_smile:

I always get the latest release version as soon as I can :slight_smile:

The only issue I’m having is with WSL2, but I think it’s just because I haven’t configured it properly yet which I will when I have more time.

1 Like

WSL2 requires the hardware support for virtualization (I don’t believe v1 did.) Since you mentioned you built the PC yourself, you may not have enabled it, as most BIOSes for some strange reason default to turning the virtualization features off. (It’s called different things in different BIOSes, and they always stick it in different places.) Also many BIOSes reset it back to off if you ever do a BIOS update.

Yes, I have hardware support for virtualisation switched on and use HyperV for virtualisation. When I get some time, I’ll have a dig in to WSL2, but not a priority for me right now.

2 Likes

I’ve installed it on my Ryzen 1700 (nVidia GTX1060i), HP Spectre X360 (Skylake) and Lenovo ThinkPad T480 (Kaby Lake + Thunderbolt dock) and no problems so far.

We’ve also installed it on a dozen or so other machines at work (mainly Dell and Lenovo mini desktops and laptops), with no problems so far.

Same here. I was looking to use WSL2, so I upgraded in Release Preview. Did it on work laptop and home desktop without incident on either (fingers crossed).

I haven’t had the slowness on IO as it was on WSL1 and it is nice to have the disk image instead of individual files. I migrated a copy of disk image from home PC to work laptop without issue.