Windows 10 2004 is [slowly] rolling out

I have many virtual machines that I use for different purposes. (I tend to believe in compartmentalized computing on the least privilege sort of approach to security.) The end of May has arrived and MS had promised to release the next upgrade of Windows 10 by that time. I checked for updates on a number of virtual machines, and of about 10, only one got the offer. (Did I win a lottery? :wink: )

Windows10version2004Offer

As is the current approach, since 1903, you can safely check for updates without getting forced to take the update, but once it offers it to you, the offer will remain in Windows Update until you accept it, or you wait long enough when it will eventually be ā€œforcedā€. (I think itā€™s like 6 to 9 months before it gets forcefulā€¦ surely by then any kinks will be worked out and you shouldnā€™t worry about taking it.)

After the update, it boots as Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.264] but there were still misc updates still pending (.NET and Adobe Flash player updates.)

There were no further updates on my machine. But I had installed the .Net update a week or so ago and I donā€™t have Flash on my PC.

It hung at around 87% for about 5 minutes, but other than that, I think the whole process to around 10 minutes. Interestingly, it hasnā€™t updated Edge to new Edge.

Interestingly, any AMD based machine I boot has got the offer. I guess maybe that says theyā€™re holding off on Intel updates in general for some reason? I have to say that Intel software (i.e. drivers) are not the most robust pieces of software I have ever usedā€¦ even when supposedly WHQL.

I installed using the upgrade advisor as it didnā€™t appear in Windows Update. Took about an hour and a half. No issues so far.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a few minor issues, but they werenā€™t show stoppers at all. The biggest issue is the background image on my desktop goes all black. Thatā€™s happened on half of the machines upgraded. The fix is usually just to go into Settings | Personalization and the mere loading of the page seems to fix the problem. (Except in one case, where I had to re-select my theme to reset it.)

On my AMD 3900X the upgrade seemed to have caused enough of a change that all my USB devices were re-recognized. Hardly a serious issue, just lots of notifications, but it was a little worrying at first. I canā€™t fully blame that on the upgrade either, because I also upgraded my video drivers during the upgrade process. (Itā€™s worth noting that the latest WHQL version of AMD drivers for many devices were just released in May.)

Other that these minor issues, I canā€™t really notice any difference. There certainly arenā€™t any big features or differences evident on the surface (no pun intended.)

Right now I am listening to Windows Weekly from Wednesday and setting up my new laptop I received yesterday. While checking for updates 2004 popped up as my last update to install. Wish me luck

Hereā€™s a list of know issues.

Two for me on that list. My home pc has an nVidia 1050ti and my company laptop has a thunderbolt Dock.

The PC seems fine so far. I think the drivers are from February.

Finished installing the update on my new laptop. Total time was about 1 hour and 20 mins. Still no update available for my desktop machine even after ā€œseekingā€. The known issues so far do not affect me. If Iā€™m lucky I will squeak by again without issues.

If it is that long, Iā€™m gonna wait until I finish working from home before I try to do it. I donā€™t need more headaches like I got last month with a previous update.

My 4th gen Intel i7 on an Asrock Z87 motherboard just had this show up:

I wish theyā€™d still be more specific about why itā€™s blockedā€¦ I like knowing which sub-component manufacturers are being laggards in supporting me.

Edit: I have a different i7 Gen 4+ on an Asrock Z97 that is also getting the same message, so clearly there is something specific about the older chipsets.

It sounds like they plan (or planned) to start the rollout around the same time, but maybe itā€™s not going as well as they would like (with Windows 10 2004) and theyā€™re delaying it?

Either way Iā€™ll never launch it purposefully even once :wink:

Its actually a pretty decent browser and if you use any Microsoft services like 365 or Sharepoint it auto integrates those services into the search function as long as you use the same login for both. I rather like it at work because everything is Microsoft services at work.

Iā€™m old school, I donā€™t want any service or feature clouding any of my [meta] dataā€¦ I use a highly customized Firefox that does its best to block all the tracking and monitoring and ads.

1 Like