Windows 11 freezes, how to diagnose?

My Windows 11 laptop has had this problem since I’ve had it. Waited a while to see if a Samsung or MS update would fix it. Also have done a wipe and clean reinstall, but it’s still there.

Thought I’d look into it a bit more this morning. What happens is if I switch to task view (4 finger swipe up), and try to manipulate any of my open windows (move an app from one desktop to another does it) the laptop freezes. Leave it about a minute and it returns to normal.

Looking in Control Panel/Problem Details and Event Viewer I see a couple of events that coincide.

Event viewer shows an explorer.exe application hang error at the time of the freeze.

Control Panel shows a number of

C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\TextInputHost.exe MoAppHang just before a freeze.

Any tips on how a further investigate these two events?

Update - created a new login using my wife’s MS ID on this laptop. The problem goes away :man_shrugging:t2:

What spec is the laptop? What processor? 13th Gen Intel by any chance?

Is it docked?

12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P, 16GB RAM, Iris graphics. Yes, I did think of Paul and @Leo 's observations about freezing 12th/13th-gen Intels.

I use a small USB C dock sometimes, but the issue also happens when disconnected.

I updated my OP, seems much more reliable using a different MS account. Weirdly, the MS Store when logged in to my wife’s account is suddenly offering me lots of app updates that my own account doesn’t, including a bunch of MS and Samsung stuff.

So I may remove/recreate my own account next, see if that sorts it.

2 Likes

With a crazy name like this it sounds like an app that was installed from the MS Store. Since you mentioned it doesn’t seem to be a problem on a different user profile, see if you can poke the store and get it to update. If you can find that faulting app in the store, maybe you get it to uninstall/reinstall or otherwise update.

1 Like

If you google it, there’s a lot of posts about this. Here’s one for example- Get Started [MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy] cannot be removed/disabled · Issue #16 · builtbybel/ThisIsWin11 · GitHub

It’s also possible your profile is corrupted.

Tips for using Google to research tech problems

1 Like

It’s also possible your profile is corrupted

Seems like it. I’ve recreated it, and so far, no freezing.

Update. All seems much better. I’m still getting quite a few errors in Event Viewer. Sign-Up Assistant startup errors, biwinrt.dll faulting, TextInputHost.exe still there, NtpClient can’t find time.windows.com. All sorts.

I’ll work through them on a rainy day :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Try running SFC /scannow as an administrator.

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

What’s the level of severity of the errors you see in EV?

1 Like

sfc says ‘Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations’

Gives you an idea. Events since this morning. Some are Errors, hanging events or crashes.