Windows 10 stuck at 1803

Every time my PC tries to update past 1803 it fails. It gets somewhere around 60%, croaks, and gives Error code: (0x80070003). There can be any number of reasons why this error code is returned. Even using the Update Assistant fails. I’ve combed the net for solutions. I’ve renamed the Software Distribution folder. No luck. I’ve looked at the setuperr.log, various other log & XML files that forums reference but none of the forums have any solutions. Posters just upload copies of the files but no one can point out what the problem is. I’ve installed all the latest drivers. The only conclusion I can come up with is that my hardware is too old. Anyone else run into this error code and fixed it?

Can always take the nuclear option and reinstall the whole machine. Take an image first though.

How old is the machine? I’ve had Windows running fine on a 2012 machine.

1 Like

I vote for nuke + reinstall. These feature updates are essentially complete OS upgrades, something I’ve always recommended against anyway.

Well… From what I can tell… it’s most likely hardware or driver related. Make sure your USB drivers, video card drivers, network and WiFi and Bluetooth drivers are all up to date. For the upgrade, remove and disconnect anything from the PC that you don’t need to do the upgrade. If that doesn’t work, you can try some of the more drastic things in this article:

It’s about 4 years old. On one update attempt, I disconnected all things USB as well as the 1TB data drive but it still failed. There are no more drivers for the motherboard (Gigabyte Z97X-SLI) since it is outdated. The video driver is the latest AMD driver I can get for the Radeon HD 6800.

I’ve just been too lazy to do that whole nuke thing. I just don’t feel like being bothered with reinstalling all the apps. Having done this stuff since the mid-90s, I think I’ve reached a point where as long as most things are running OK, I couldn’t care less about these feature updates. Sometime you just get tired of messing with it. I may order a new SSD and start from scratch at some point. I guess I was looking for a quick resolution.

Here’s a chunk of the setuperr.log file

2019-12-03 09:00:26, Error [0x080831] MIG CSIAgent: Invalid xml format: FormatException: Component with display name: Plugin/{C939EC0F-2F56-4CE8-AF56-2336596A5FA7} already loaded __cdecl Mig::CMXEMigrationXml::CMXEMigrationXml(class Mig::CPlatform *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::XmlDocument *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::String *)
2019-12-03 09:02:17, Error [0x080813] MIG CRegProcessingUnit::ProcessGather: Failed to get dataunit in POV enumeration for location(“HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\updater.exe”)
2019-12-03 09:03:58, Error SP Error converting install time 12/0/218 to structure[gle=0x00000057]
2019-12-03 09:04:13, Error CSetupAutomation::Resurrect: File not found: C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\automation.dat[gle=0x00000002]
2019-12-03 09:04:13, Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectAutomation: Failed to resurrect automation: 0x80070002[gle=0x00000002]
2019-12-03 09:04:14, Error [SetupHost.Exe] IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY failed: 0x1
2019-12-03 09:04:14, Error SP CMountWIM::DoExecute: Failed to mount WIM file C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SafeOS\winre.wim. Error 0x80070003[gle=0x00000003]
2019-12-03 09:04:14, Error SP Operation failed: Mount WIM file C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SafeOS\winre.wim, index 1 to C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SafeOS\SafeOS.Mount. Error: 0x80070003[gle=0x000000b7]
2019-12-03 09:04:14, Error SP ExecuteOperations: Failed execution phase Pre-Finalize. Error: 0x80070003

I’ve entered some of the error statements in searches but haven’t come up with any usable results.

Something has probably been corrupted. The best way is a wipe and reinstall. From 1803, I would probably do a wipe and reinstall anyway.

I was thinking the same thing. It does run a little wonky sometimes. For example, sometimes the Outlook 2013 message list will completely blank out until I start moving the mouse over that area, then the message will reveal themselves. Sometimes when I want to attach a file to an e-mail, the Explorer UI doesn’t any folders or drives in the left pane. I had to kill Outlook and launch it again.

If the device is recognized by Windows you do not generally want to get drivers for it from the MOBO manufacturer. (Basically you load these so Windows can detect the device and then hope that Windows replaces them with updated code over time.)

As an administrator, go into Device Manager, and pick interesting devices (and maybe a few less interesting ones) and right click on them and select the option to update drivers and let it search the Windows online repository. In particular do this for networking (NIC, WiFi, Bluetooth) devices and USB root hubs and the like.

Windows upgrade assistant from Microsoft has sometimes helped me get past issues like this.

The OP did say the Upgrade Assistant crashes too, so I really think the installation has become corrupted.

So he did - speed reading sorry

I agree with some others, I would wipe the hard drive and clean install from 1903 or 1909 if you have them. Make a image first or backup or if you have a spare hard drive try doing the clean install see how it goes. If not you can always go back to the other hard drive with 1803 on it.

BTDT…no luck with that approach.

I’ll probably do that at some point.

I can recommend lazesoft recovery suite.
http://www.lazesoft.com/
It works very well and I use the one click fix to fix the system. It requires you to make a bootable usb from which you boot to do the repair. The one click fix makes it possible to do the updates to your Windows 10 system. good luck!

Randy

1 Like

Yup, clean install is almost guaranteed to work. Unless you have an underlying hardware issue. Try running Steve Gibson’s Spinrite on it.

1 Like

I really can’t recommend SpinRite right now until 6.1 or higher comes out. It is incapable of dealing with most modern machines, like any with uEFI enabled. There are other, better, and free, alternatives right now. https://alternativeto.net/software/spinrite/

1 Like