What's some great free software you think more people should know about?

Need some recursive fast file searching (and some practice making/using regular expressions?)

As a mechanical keyboard hobbyist, QMK and VIA are nice to have around. I love making my keyboard mine.

I support your crazy tease. I don’t understand the joy of a minimalist or legendless (or reduced legend) keyboard, but I won’t make fun of anyone whom that delights. Me… I just want a keyboard that makes programming easy (aka plenty of punctuation). I keep meaning to order a CODE keyboard like Leo did, but they’re mighty expensive for something I can’t try first.

I assume these are links to the things you mentioned.

https://github.com/olivia/via-config

1 Like

Those are the ones. I use both a full sized WASD board and s full custom 75% layout. This 40% Ortho stuff isn’t for me.

Patch my PC and Glary Utilities.

+1 million on Chocolatey. Been using it for a few months now and really appreciate it far better than Ninite.

While CD/DVD Burning is less common, CD Burner XP is great for those few times (available via Chocolately)

1 Like

Welcome from Colorado Jammer2k!

2 Likes

LibreOffice - dropped MS Office long ago and haven’t looked back - cross platform, full featured

2 Likes

Software that changes the colour temps of your screens:

Freeware:
f.lux - I use this heavily for Windows.

FOSS:
Redshift - For my Linux OS’s as I keep running into issues with Flux.

For CD/DVD burning (in my case mostly from .iso files) I’ve been using InfraRecorder for years without any problems:

1 Like

Another piece of free-to-use (although not FOSS) software that I recommend is Macrium Reflect Free:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I’ve been using it for years to make and restore disk images for backup purposes. They appear to make their money out of the paid versions with extra facilities for business use, but don’t object when I leave my contact details blank and select to not register the software, so they appear not to be overtly monetising personal info on the free version.

If using it with Windows 10 1903 or later, make sure you have the latest version, as there’s something about the latest Windows that causes version of Reflect older than 7.2 to fail with “Error 9” when doing a test write before creating the image. Newer versions have a fix for that.

1 Like

Free software I use-

• Virtual Box open-source hosted hypervisor
  • Notepad ++ text editor and source code editor
  • Greenshot screen capture
  • 7-zip compression software
  • AutoHotKey automation scripting language
  • Thunderbird email client
  • ASAP Utilities powerful Excel add-in
  • Filezilla FTP server/client
  • PuTTY a free implementation of SSH and Telnet
2 Likes

Sorry I just realized this is about free software. So I just moved my earlier post to another thread.

Not really. There are millions of free software packages out there that are free and don’t throw ads at you or sell your privacy.

2 Likes

I used to be a big Notepad++ user, although I tend to use VisualCode at the moment (I usually have both installed), the only downside on VC is that it is electron based, so it is a bit bloated.

Redmine - we use it at work for support and asset tracking and documentation purposes.

Pi-Hole - I can’t recommend this enough. A great DNS system, it supports DNSSEC, DoH, DNS over TLS and has several backbone DNS servers as options - I use Quad9 DNSSEC over TLS. Then you throw in your blacklists, I have around 2.5 million sites blocked, including over 2,000 Facebook tracking domains!

Debian - solid, stable Linux distribution that is the upstream source of Ubuntu. No frills and fairly pure. It is also one of the oldest and most well respected distributions.

Nginx - alternative web server to Apache, fairly light and fast.

OpenVAS - vulnerability scanning system for networks. I used to work for the company that produces the software (Greenbone), the OpenVAS and the Community Feed are free, the GSM hardware and the enterprise feed are not free. A great company to work for and a great product, although I have moved on.

Kali Linux - Linux with most of the tools you need for ethical hacking built in.