LastPass or 1Password

I am currently a 1Password user and I see a lot of references to LastPass here. Other than pricing, any reasons why you prefer one over the other?

1 Like

I prefer 1Password just because it’s the one I know. I don’t think either is better - I think it’s just about preference.

2 Likes

I just always like 1password app better and the way needed to login with secret key and of course since they are Canadian

2 Likes

1Password here. IMO the family plan is reasonably priced.

I have been a fan of 1 password for over 5 years. But I would agree that both are similar in the protection that they provide. But KUDO’S to all who use a password manager.

1 Like

I’ve been a long time user of RoboForm.

I like pain so I’ve chosen https://keepass.info/ . before i really knew about lastpass. It’s open source.

It has been audited : https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/22/keepass-audit-no-critical-security-vulnerabilities-found/

It’s not really painful, just that you have to host the file yourself (like dropbox or other mean ) to synchronize across devices. But client exist for mac, pc, linux, android and ios.

Been using it for close to 10 years, no glitch. But if you want a safe solution and that is free that could be a thing to look at.

5 Likes

I use EnPass, flat price, no monthly fee, store your hash of passwords anywhere you want.

1 Like

I have used LastPass for several years because of @Leo’s recommendation. It worked ok for awhile then the browser that lastpass uses had a compatibility problem with one of my bank webpage because it said my browser was out of date. I started relying on apples password manager and almost exclusively use that now. It might not be the most secure if I lose my phone, but it’s definitely convenient.

1 Like

1password here… It was a free demo for a year and I enjoy it better than the free ones.

Lastpass is great and I used it for a very long time however I recently switched to Bitwarden. (https://bitwarden.com/) It’s free, opensource, and you can self-host the software very easily if you choose to do so.

1 Like

I also use Roboform and have done for over 12 years (since before lastpass existed).
I do also have lastpass as a backup - is that too paranoid? :grin:

1 Like

I use LastPass, but I have heard mainly good things about 1Password. I would say, as long as you are happy with your current product, don’t change, unless there is some must-have feature that the other has.

For me the deciding factor (at the time) was Yubikey support in LastPass. I use a Neo and can use the NFC chip to unlock LastPass on my 'phone and stick it in a USB port on my PC for the same thing.

1 Like

I use LastPass. Why?

1. Steve Gibson says it’s okay to use
  2. Leo says it’s okay to use
  3. They are a TWiT sponsor. I think it’s important to support TWiT by patronizing the sponsors.
  4. It works great. I have not tried 1Password so I don’t how it compares. Prior to using LastPass I used a secure OneNote.
1 Like

Neo? Microsoft Neo? The not-going-to-be-out-until-holiday-2020 Neo?

I use a Yubikey Neo, a one time key generator with NFC capability.

1 Like

I’ve been using lastpass for several years now and very happy it. Not inclined to give up my current happiness. :wink:

I could probably be happy with 1password but haven’t used it before so that’s theoretical at best.

I just switched from using Chrome for my passwords to Bitwarden. I like that Bitwarden is opensource, you can host it yourself or use their hosting for free or $12 a year for the family plan. Now my wife has access to my passwords if needed.
I got the extension installed in Firefox and my phone, so I am not stuck using Chrome and have switched to Firefox and Brave.
https://help.bitwarden.com/article/why-should-i-trust-bitwarden/

2 Likes

I used Keepass and 1Password years ago, but switched to Lastpass after Steve Gibson explained it on Security Now (that was also many years ago actually :wink:). I’ve used both the Free and Premium service.

1 Like

Reasons why I don’t use Lastpass:

• Hamachi
  • Xmarks
  • Join.me
  • LogMeIn Ignition

Nevermind that they were hacked, it’s the trust that LogMeIn has repeatedly broken that keeps me from them. Yes, I know they’re a TWiT sponsor, and that does help them in my book, but they killed off all of the above useful free services that I used and either discontinued them or trashed them. (To note: Ignition wasn’t even free; it was a one-time paid app, but they killed it in favor of much more expensive monthly/per device prices.) So for me, it’s none of the above. Open Source Bitwarden is my password manager of choice.

EDIT: So if LogMeIn wants a chance, in my mind, they need to do two things to earn back some good-will in the technology community.

• Keep being a TWiT Sponsor.
  • Develop and re-develop free services (like Hamachi and Xmarks) to repay users for having taken so many away.
1 Like