Let's type about keyboards

As mentioned here What's some great free software you think more people should know about? I want a good keyboard for coding. But I am CERTAIN you all have your own opinions and I’d like to hear 'em. What are your most important features for a keyboard?
I tried to think of a lot of the options I know of… I probably missed something, but there are already more than 20 choices so I had to break it into two separate polls. Please let me know if I missed something obvious and I will update the poll to reflect it.

• Must be quiet as possible in operation
  • Must be tenkeyless (aka not have the navigation and numeric keypad)
  • Must have a numeric keypad
  • Must have [LED] backlighting
  • The keys must have indivisually addressable/programmable colour backlighting
  • The backlighting must have multiple levels including off
  • Must have media control keys/volume control
  • Must have a Windows key lockout (for gamers)
  • Must have user replaceable keycaps
  • Must be [easily/end user] repairable
  • Must have large print keycaps
  • Must have reduced legend
  • Must have no legend
  • Must be low latency (for gamers)
  • Must have adjustable height
  • Must support a [detachable] wrist rest
  • Must have basic ergonomics (curves)
  • Must have advanced/specific ergonomics (split for example)

0 voters

• Must support lap usage (for media TV use)
  • Must be wired
  • Must have a removable cord
  • Must be USB-C
  • Must be wireless
  • Must support bluetooth
  • Must support pairing/switching to multiple devices
  • Must be alkaline battery powered
  • Must be rechargeable battery powered
  • Must have something else (please comment on what)

0 voters

Edit: (You can only edit a poll for 5 mins apparently, so here’s some extra choices in a new poll.)

• Must have audible key click
  • Must have minimal key travel
  • Must have good key travel
  • Must have extra key travel

0 voters

2 Likes

Must have plenty of key travel. Brown switches for me.

3 Likes

Good idea, I’ll add that.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Logitech G910 which has extra programmable keys along the left and top. I’ve grown pretty attached to that functionality.

1 Like

The results in the polls are interesting, but not surprising. I think it’s already showing how there can never be one perfect keyboard to rule them all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the Code Keyboard. It’s great to type on. My model has Cherry Brown switches with some extra dampening rings, which gives me a good feel without being overly loud.

https://codekeyboards.com/

2 Likes

I have an old Logitech wireless ergonomic. I pray to any diety I can think of that it never dies. They don’t make anything like it anymore.

1 Like

My favourite keyboard is still the original DEC VT100 keyboard. Not a clicking buckling spring keyboard like the old IBM keyboards, but a proper amount of travel and a great feel.

I currently have a Razer Black Widow (Red), but my daily drivers are a Microsoft Surface Ergonomic at home and a Microsoft Natural 4000 at work. I find the Surface Ergo is fine, the key travel is half-way decent, certainly better than any other chicklet style keyboard I’ve used. The Natural 4000 isn’t that good, but it is okay.

I also have a Natural Multimedia from 2002 plugged into my desktop at home (which is what the Surface Ergo is also connected to). The Ergo has just replaced the Natural Multimedia and I haven’t gotten around to removing it yet.

I’ve used a lot of Logitech and Microsoft keyboards over the years, as well as cheap OEM keyboards. The Cherry G8 series is probably among the best of the non-switched keyboards, but I like Cherry Blues.

I came into hardware to start a topic on Apple keyboards, and noticed this poll. Thanks, It was fun to take.

My other is it has to be light weight. I travel full time.

I travel with a 12 inch MacBook. Having heard so much about how bad Apple keyboards are now, I didn’t want to be left with using the on screen keyboard. I bought a lightweight external keyboard, as a back up. I answered this poll with the external keyboard in mind.

I was lucky to find the perfect one for me. It is the Logitech Easy‑Switch K810 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard.

1. I has good adjustable back lighting.
  2. Key travel is just right for me.
  3. It clicks just enough for me
  4. It can be used while charging.
  5. It can be paired with three different devices with keys for quick switching.
  6. it only weighs 314 grams.

I just checked the Logitech website and they still make it.
Yesterday my MacBook keyboard stopped working.

I just bought a cheap Bluetooth folio keyboard case from Amazon for my iPad Pro 12.9. Didn’t want to spend Apple money for the Apple folio. I don’t mind typing on glass, so I wasn’t sure I was going to like it. I can’t believe how good it is for $36!

1 Like

What is the brand? I might be interested in getting one.

It’s by animuss on Amazon. It lists for $39.82 but there’s a 5% coupon.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it out.

1 Like

My favorite is still the old PS/2 IBM keyboard I had back in the 1990s - from a 386 I owned. Loved that clacking noise…

2 Likes