TWIT.TV podcast ads

I was repeatedly hit with TWIT.TV podcast ads tonight on news sites ranging from WSJ to the Hartford Courant. Is that a good use of TWIT $$$'s? I’ve been downloading TWIT for years. I guess if the news sites gain some revenue, that’s a good thing.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s a very good thing. I’m heartened when I see TWiT ads, because when I mention TWiT in RL to anyone, they have no clue what I’m talking about. I hope that one day, regular people who use tech will have some knowledge about sources of tech info, like TWiT. It’s much to hope for, but I continue to hope anyway.

8 Likes

I’ve always thought TWiT should advertise more as I don’t think it’s really known about outside of the die-hards. This will hopefully drive more people towards the TWiT podcasts and attract more advertisers to TWiT.

10 Likes

I have for a long time tried to get folks to watch Twit show to learn more than I could teach them. I just sent for Twit Stickers, I’ll pass a few around. I should order a Twit hoody and a T-Shirt to wear around Town too. I don’t mind wearing the Twit logo, other logo’s, no.

2 Likes

I have a bunch of TWiT apparel. I do have other logo apparel too, though - TYT Network, MKBHD… and some from crowdfunding campaigns I’ve contributed to.

Oh, and I have a Leo bobblehead and a TWiT Maker Mat. That last one didn’t come from TWiT, I don’t think, but it at least it has the logo.

3 Likes

But why wouldn’t a station that has advertising, use advertising ?
It makes complete sense to me.
“The cycle of life”

4 Likes

Wonderful! The stickers should get to you shortly! Thank you for sharing TWiT with others :slight_smile: Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Love the collection you have! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting topic, but I’m wondering why you posted under “Jeff Jarvis”. I think you would get much more discussion and feedback if this topic was in the “General Discussion” or “Feedback” section.

Hi Tiny. I posted it under Jeff Jarvis because I relate to his journalist perspective and am interested to hear his “take” on the topic. And, now back to listening to “Motherless Brooklyn” on Hoopla. I spend way too much time watching/listening to TWIT … Full disclosure, someone should be saying Audible tokens are great for recently released non-fiction/fiction but older stuff you can listen to for free thanks to your library. Especially on my Casper mattress that I bought a years ago because of Leo’s ads along with tons of other stuff including my Audible subscription. But now there are US air strikes in Iraq, so I’m logging back to Reuters.com to see where we are headed now …

I’ve not run into these ads yet. It’s possible I just haven’t frequented the sites they appear on, or just haven’t come up in the rotation as yet.

If you ask me (and nobody did, but I’ll tell ya anyway), I’d say that this is probably good for the most part. Advertising on mainstream sites will get some new listeners. How many of them stick around, though, is unknown.

Still, a few thousand more regular listeners to each show is probably worth the trouble of advertising. I’m pulling that number out of thin air, as I don’t know the scale that would be considered successful for TWiT.

All the best!

2 Likes

I am guessing that they are probably using remarketing for people who visit the twit.tv website. It would probably be more efficient if they tried to avoid spending the advertising on people who use twit.community since we are already in on TWiT. In fact it would be more useful to advertise towards target demographics as opposed to people who have been on their website.

We do not track users who visit TWiT.tv and target them with ads elsewhere. The only “tracking” that’s done on the TWiT site is basic Google Analytics stuff just to see how many people hit various pages…but we absolutely do not track any individual users.

If you see a TWiT ad on some other site, it’s NOT because you visited TWiT. More likely, it’s one of the sites we’re currently advertising to that could potentially attract more listeners and viewers…and if you’re a TWiT fan and seeing the ads, then hopefully some future TWiT fans that also visit that site will also see the ads, click them, and become ONE OF US! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Resistance is futile, you will become a nerd! :wink:

3 Likes

I got the stickers yesterday, Thanks. I mostly avoid wearing advertisements on clothing. But, if it is an organization that promotes knowledge, I don’t mind at all. Knowledge will be needed to proceed safely as things move to the future that everything will be done on line.

4 Likes