TWiT Community server occasionally unresponsive

I tried checking the community at 0900 UTC (1am PST) but found the server wasn’t responding. By 0925 UTC it was back, then intermittently offline 1015-1030 UTC. Tried on two devices, and checked other sites were OK to make sure it wasn’t my end of the connection. It did occur to me that it was the sort of time that system maintenance might be happening.

4 Likes

I seem to remember the same thing happening to me a while back. Probably system maintenance, as you said.

3 Likes

I too have encountered times when things were very slow and/or non-responsive. TWiT Community is being cloud hosted by Discourse’s commercial endeavour. It’s just a guess but it seems likely that they have occasional times when things aren’t working quite perfectly because of things outside their control. (For example: the Internet is a wild place, and bad guys some times attack sites or services just because they can.)

3 Likes

PS – Definitely having some server issues early this morning (around 4:15 PST).

2 Likes

For me, it was offline again 4:00-4:25am PST. Not a complaint, just an observation. As PHolder says, the Internet is not always an orderly place.

2 Likes

I got it the other day as well.

It happened to me about 30 min ago. I posted a reply, and it got stuck. Then, the site did not work for about 5 minutes. Now it is working, and that post I was trying to make did not go thru afterall. I had to do it again…

1 Like

Yeah, something’s going on this morning, I’m having periodic outages too.

1 Like

Yes, for 10 minutes, it just happened again. I can finally get back in now

I’ve lost several posts over the last couple of hours. :frowning:

1 Like

It was down again for me over the last half hour or so. Seeing as it’s hosted on servers that must have a crowd of other Discourse communities on them, I’m going to make a completely wild guess that somewhere on there is a community where two gaming nerds are having a disagreement, and one of them’s using a “DDoS-as-a-service” provider to attack that community, with a collateral effect on all the other communities. Not a very mature response, but it does happen.

Then again, it could just be a flaky network hub in a datacentre somewhere…

Edited to say that I just realised I unintentionally plagiarised PHolder’s comment. Guess I must have been sufficiently distracted to think I was having an original idea when I was actually recycling someone else’s. :hugs::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

LOL there’s a funny mental image. Just imagine the emoji involved :smiley:

3 Likes

Happened to me several times today.

1 Like

Happened again about 20 min ago…

1 Like