TWIG 742: More Eel Guys Than You Know

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Leo’s new Pixel tablet. I received mine about the same time. I noticed the screen going dark just as he mentioned. GRRR!!! Couple of discoveries. Screen reapers with a touch to the touch pad. Also the time out appeared to me on PBS movie but not on TWIG viewed on YouTube. The learning curve goes on, and may last months or years!

1 Like

Screen reappears? Cause screen reapers doesn’t sound like a fun feature :wink:

1 Like

I was very surprised that Alex stated that the EU doesn’t have much in the way of territorial restrictions with the GDPR, I’d say it is very restrictive - and a big reason why using US cloud services has been quasi illegal since 2018.

Data on EU citizens can only be stored in countries with equivalent levels of protection (which discards Russia and China for a start, but, due to the Patriot ACT and the CLOUD Act, it also made the storage of EU citizens’ data in the USA illegal - a company doing business in Europe cannot store their customer or user data in the USA, for example, which is why Meta had to build large EU data centers in Ireland to store the data.

This also makes it next to impossible for a business in the EU to chose a cloud service for storing their company data. The cloud provider might have an EU data center, but the cloud provider is also liable under the CLOUD Act to hand over extra-territorial data of their customers upon request to the US Government, which is unacceptable - it can only be handed over with a valid EU court warrant and if the cloud provider hands over the data, the company who’s data it is, is legally liable for the illegal “data breach”.

Hopefully with the new treaty, if the US actually pulls its finger out and implements their side of it this time, it might make cloud a viable option.

E.g. my boss was preparing a short film of our production process with a supplier’s tools, which would be shown to management at another of our production facilities, who are considering taking on the same tools. There were people in the video he took and he wanted to edit the segments together and remove a couple of scenes that weren’t necessary. Something Windows Moviemaker would have been perfect for, but he has a Windows 11 PC with ClipChamp. He tried removing the PC from the network, to test, but ClipChamp stopped working, because it is cloud only and, because the video included actual persons, he could not upload the video to ClipChamp’s cloud for processing, because it would be transferred to the USA (or rather, there is no guarantee that the video would remain on EU servers for the processing).

In the end, he had to run up a VM with an older version of Windows, just to edit the film clips together.

This is one of the reasons why the rush to the cloud, especially on the client side from Microsoft and its server business, is such a pain. Because we cannot store the data on Microsoft’s (or Google’s or Amazon’s) services legally (or any European cloud provider, who does business in the USA, for that matter), the only option is local processing and locally stored (within the company network) data.

Some companies do take the risk of using cloud services, but if they are caught in a situation where the cloud provider was handed a National Security Letter and handed their data over without informing the company, the company would be liable under GDPR for fines of 20M€ or 4% of global turnover for failure to report a data breach to the Data Protection Commissioner within 48 hours of the cloud provider getting the NSL and handing the data over.

2 Likes