TWIG 650: Theoreticals Upon Hypotheticals

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

@Leo , Europe isn’t thinking about changing Privacy Shield. Due to the US government ignoring their duties under it between 2014 and 2020, the European courts decided that the whole thing is null and void, because the US don’t take it seriously.

They had to guarantee that the data would be treated the same way as in Europe, that they would appoint a permanent ombudsman for any issues arising and that the Patriot Act, CLOUD Act, FISA courts and National Security Letters would either be repealed or amended to exempt European data.

Moreover, US companies can’t sell or share the data to third parties, they have to delete it when requested and they have to collect the minimum amount of data possible to accomplish the task and the data must be deleted once that original task was finished.

The data can also only be collected with the identifiable person’s explicit permission.

2 Likes

Also, can’t use international clouds? There are plenty of countries around the world that have equivalent levels of data protection or have equivalents of Privacy Shield, which they actually take seriously.

They include:

• Bahrain
  • Israel
  • Qatar
  • Turkey
  • Kenya
  • Mauritius
  • Nigeria
  • South Africa
  • Uganda
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Uruguay
  • Canada

So making an international cloud is not a problem.

What is a problem is, that companies in the EU can’t open offices in the USA, because they would suddenly be culpable under the Patriot Act and would have to hand over extra-territorial data to the US government - i.e. if they have an office in the US, the US Government can force them to hand over data held in the EU, even though that would be illegal in Europe - the board would have to make a decision, hand over the data and face fines in excess of $25M in Europe or its board being extradited to the US and jailed for not handing over the data…

The US really seems to be doing its best to ostracize itself from the world stage.

3 Likes

Amerixit, americxit… Not sure how to make that word yet, but we’ll figure it out

Another enjoyable episode. I especially laughed at @Leo with his story about the dishwasher and went to tank @ant_pruitt for mentioning Master class. I didn’t think to look there as a path to continued education. :+1: To you sir.

2 Likes

Yeah the stuff on Masterclass is fascinating. It’s lecture based, but so is college. THANKS for watching TWiG

2 Likes

Lol at the dishwasher story. I was fortunate enough to hear the more “colorful” version of that story from a frustrated Mrs Laporte. :smile::smile::smile: So dadgum funny

2 Likes

Yes, I wonder how they are living with no dishwasher? Are they really washing dishes or going the paper plates way… #collagelife

1 Like

#firstworldproblems As someone in need of a replacement dishwasher (after the last one nearly caught on fire of all things) and with a replacement not being in the budget for some time into the future, I can assure you I have become fully reacquainted with the hand dish washing process. It’s not actually that bad, I just schedule some dish washings to correspond to times when I have disposable content to consume. (I arranged my family room and kitchen so that I can stand at the sink and watch the family room TV.)

3 Likes

Yeah, but got to conserve some water when washing. A dish washer makes that easier… But let’s not account for the resources required to make a dishwasher in the first place…

Maybe she should have her own rant show, she has enough to get started, with the Mini and the dishwasher…

2 Likes

I assume they are washing the dishes like normal people…

Growing up, I never had a dishwasher, when I bought my own place, never having had a dishwasher, I never missed it. It was only when I met my wife and moved into our current house that I had my first dishwasher, I was 42.

The same goes for a clothes drier. I always just hung out the washing to dry.

That also depends, the dishwashers uses 15 to 20 litres per wash cycle. Living alone, I never had enough crockery or cutlery to fill a dishwasher. A typical daily washing of the dishes would use less than 10L of water. I’d have had to throw the machine on every second day anyway, because I would have run out of plates. So it would have used a little more water than doing it by hand.

If you have a large family and wash up after every meal (I washed up once a day, living alone, coffee cup for breakfast, plate, knife and fork and pans for lunch, knife and board (Germans use a small chopping board for eating bread off of).

WIth a dishwasher, I’d need a lot more plates and boards to fill it, and it would have stunk to high-heaven, by the time I’d got enough into it to actually make it full.

1 Like

Going on 39 years here, never had a dishwasher in my life. Even with a wife and 2 kids now, don’t feel a massive urge to get one. The space for it in our kitchen we converted to a pot drawer and microwave space.

4 Likes

I totally dig handwashing dishes. It’s an easy way to feel like you’re getting something done. Same reason I make our bed every morning.

I was a dishwasher and potscrubber in college. No paper plates for us!!

4 Likes

we hand rinse ours before they go into the dishwasher - don’t know why :slightly_smiling_face: