TWIG 636: Twisty Buttons

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I’m listening to this week’s episode and am startled by the segment on email. Maybe it’s a factor of age, I’m over 70 and first used a computer in 1965. I use email heavily, it’s my primary communication method and is far preferred to the telephone or text messaging. But the panel, except Mr. Pruitt, seem to think email is about as relevant as buggy whips. One of the problems they raised is spam but I see very little of that and by setting rules in my mail client (Apple Mail) most of it goes straight to trash. Oh well, another sign of time passing.

2 Likes

Email is still the primary communication inter-company at work.

I still get a lot of emails privately and it is still very relevant, but Signal and other messaging platforms probably make up around 50% of my messaging these days.

2 Likes

I am not quite that old, but neither am I as young as most of the panel. I despise email with the heat of a thousand suns, and avoid it at any cost. I log into my email no more frequently than once a month, and all that is in there is SPAM and SCAM emails. (And this is with the GMail filtering.) The only thing I receive in email are communications from companies I probably never wanted to have a link to, but it was “required” to set up an account with them (which I probably also didn’t really want, but they feel is “required”.)

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. Clearly mileage varies. What is your primary communication method?

With Apple’s new ‘hide my email’ feature you can create disposable address to use for registering during account setup at those sites that require it, then either delete the address or direct all messages to trash. I expect other services provide something similar.

3 Likes

I’m not very social (I don’t think I’m quite anti-social though) and I don’t really want to communicate with many people. I participate here, and in other similar forums, but use Google Talk or Signal for the few “real time” type of communications I have. I don’t put much value on electronic communications because most of it seems too “throw away” and/or impersonal. “Social” algorithms (FB or Twitter) have seemingly ruined the value of the personal touch.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I do not use any social media although I do follow a very select number of Twitter users (e.g., Jeff Jarvis, Walt Mossberg, Padre Robert Ballecer, and Ed Bott). The role and value of Facebook is one of the few topics about which I strongly disagree with Jeff Jarvis.

1 Like

I appreciate the unvarnished opinions on Android 12 and the Pixel 6.

@ant_pruitt pulling no punches on the camera, lol. :joy:

1 Like

THANKS for listeing/watching. Give this thing adequate lighting and shoot raw, it’s gonna give some great images. AI gets it right maybe 80% of the time at best.

1 Like

i use signal for ONE person. Lol!

Wait. NO ONE ever disagrees with Mr Jeff. :laughing:

1 Like

Hey Mr. Pruitt, thank you for reading my post.

And Ms Stacey disagrees with Jeff all the time!

But seriously…I had a Facebook account for about 6 months shortly after it opened up to the general public and never used it (a friend had sent me a link to photos on FB). Then I started getting messages from Facebook about other people I knew. I found this intrusive if not creepy and closed the account. So my opinion is based on what I read in the press and see on-line and is not from personal experience of the service. However, I don’t think this precludes me from having an opinion just as I can disagree with the policies of a political party without being a member of it. To me Jeff’s view is a bit like tolerating the pandemic because we developed a truly remarkable vaccine method as a result of it (not the best analogy but all I can come up with!).
Nevertheless, it is very good to have a forum on which civilized people can have a civil conversation.

3 Likes

So much YES for this

2 Likes

Same here; in corporate environments email is still massively important, even if it probably should be less so.

On a personal level though, email is no longer a comms platform with people I know but a method of managing bills and promotional materials.

2 Likes

To the Android updates, I got the November security update on my Galaxy S20+ on 31.10.2021, so actually before Google officially announced it.

1 Like

A lot of talk about how “evil” Facebook is, yet every one in the discussion uses Facebook. If they really believed the talk, they’d quit Facebook. Leo make a big thing about “quitting” Facebook again and again, only to reactivate his account every time. The TWIT account has never quit. How about “walking the talk”? Until people quit, they get what they deserve. Complaining does nothing.

I don’t have a facebook account. I do have an Instagram account, though.

1 Like

Whaaaaaatttttt!! No one ever disagrees with Jeff!!! :joy:

1 Like

I haven’t had a Facebook account in two years.

1 Like