TWIG 577: But Can It Do Network Segmentation?

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Hey, Jeff.
If I had $700 burning a hole in my pocket for a new Chromebook, I’d look at the Acer Spin 713.
Just my 2¢

1 Like

The part of wages that @JeffJarvis and @gigastacey were discussing, I have had to deal with this. In the UK, I worked for a company and, while I was assigned to the London office, I received a so-called “London Weighting”, which was paid monthly on top of my base salary, to cover the increased cost of living in London / increased commuting time and expenses. When I was transferred to the next project, the weighting was removed from my salary.

One colleague managed to use the situation, he moved from “oop north” down to the London catchment area. The company had a policy to pay the difference between the accommodation where he was and local accommodation at the new site. He went from a 2 bed house for $40,000 to a 2 bed house for $250,000. He then got transferred back up north, sold his 2 bed house and bought a 5 bed house up north for $200,000. Then he was transferred back to the London catchment area and that 5 bed equivalent house cost over $700,000.

I currently work for about 40% less than I could earn in a big city, but my cost of living is over 50% less than living in a big city, so I am much better off working for less money. Being offered a job for nearly double the money in Munich or Frankfurt sounds great, until you run the calculations and find out you’d actually be worse off at the end of the month.

1 Like

I’m curious to see how all these issues of cost of living and remote work play out at scale, but on an individual basis you’re right that there is more to the calculus than just the number on your paycheck. You might get offered a job in a city that would more than offset the increased cost of living, but if you would rather live in a rural area then the net monetary gain might not be worth the lifestyle trade-off’s. Conversely, I have friends who still live in NYC fully aware that they could pocket more money by moving to the suburbs; they just love city life. Up until March of this year I was regularly contacted by recruiters offering more money to commute to the city but for me the loss of 15-20 hours commuting time every week just wasn’t worth it. I suppose I would consider it if they offered to fly me via helicopter. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, the location is the other thing. I have, for me, a much better quality of life, living in a small, rural town than living in a crowded city. Lovely country walks without having to first drive somewhere, shops still nearby… Perfect.

3 Likes

You’re living the dream my friend; well, at least your dream-- which is all that counts. :pray:t2:

Throughout my career, I’ve gotten constant requests for interviews from companies based in Silicon Valley. But here in South Florida, I have a tropical paradise on 2 acres of land in an equestrian community. Half the year the weather is perfect, and the other half is hot, but the pool and ocean are divine. For double the salary, I could be living in an 800 sq. ft. apartment in San Francisco. It’s really no contest.

2 Likes