TWIG 550: Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

So, I know that Leo suggesting that we all abandon Android and switch to iPhones was a way to pull everyone off covid19. Rationally, I know this. Emotionally, I turned to my Nokia 7.2 and hissed, “did you hear what it said, Precious?”

And, everybody say Happy Birthday to @ant_pruitt

7 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: he definitely knows how to stir the pot. THANKS for the wishes, too

5 Likes

Happy birthday, @ant_pruitt ! :slight_smile: :birthday:

6 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:
Came in to say that while “Podcasts you love from people you trust” is primarily a claim, it really comes true (not only but especially) in these days. It really means a lot to listen to friendly and familiar voices in times which feel pretty… demanding. Just hearing you guys wrestle with the same stuff and cheer up in the meantime is worth much. Thank you, guys - the whole team! :slight_smile:

Panic!
Then, on a completely different take, today finally became palpable why Jeff’s “[ANYTHING] PANIC!” narrative (which he brings up around minute 12 this time) does not pan out for me. You can take most of the discussion about Corona and derive a lot of insight about responsible behaviour from it. Key tenets are “be aware of potential adverse effects”, “change behaviour to act accordingly”, “shape the adverse impact of the phenomenon to fit to the structure of the support system” (aka flatten the curve).

If we agree that awareness, appropriate behaviour, and considering the size of the safety net are pretty solid and logical responses to challenges, I wonder why crying “[ANYTHING] PANIC!” is not considered rather anti-social. I mean - replace Corona with evaporating consumer privacy, corporate overreach and political manipulation, discriminating automated decisions masked as “smart” by a wide range of institutions from law enforcement to insurances, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t say that with the intention to stop him saying it - I believe it’s a unique and interesting perspective and I like him for having one and voicing it. I simply wrestle with the behaviour of ridiculing or shaming concern. Of course, I he does not really do that to the full extent, either, but it’s trending in that direction and if he’d be extremely consequent about it, it would seem a bit… autocratic.

My working hypothesis of a guiding principle is: “Don’t decry those who want to make the system better by pointing to aspects of it or approaches to solutions that you do not consider first priority.” Sure, we would have a lot less to decry - but maybe that’s what might bring a better culture of dealing with challenges about. The “…at least we have the internet and I am the defender of the internet!” is such a straw man of an argument. No-one argues that and there are no points for pledging allegiance to the flag of d’uh!

Jeff is awesome and I would not want to miss his contribution one bit - maybe precisely because he gives me something to chew on. Must be a good professor. :slight_smile:

The twist into the nonsensical!
Now, If you would excuse me and allow me to derail the reasonable tone of my comment, I am now de-mounting my high horse, packing my reasonable behaviour in a box to go on a two week vacation, travelling in a plane. That is, if our AirBNB does not cancel on us. :thinking: :man_facepalming: :dash:

5 Likes

I agree totally. The moral panic stuff was funny at the beginning, but Jeff often won’t even listen to why it might not be “panic” and why people might consider it important to take big tech, for example, to task for their actions.

2 Likes

@Leo Thermomix? I thought I’d travelled back in time! Thermomix was big here about half a decade ago.

The likes of Aldi have been flooding the market with cheap alternatives ever since.

Where I used to work, the warehouse manager had 2 Thermomixes, one at home and one in the office. His wife would prepare the food in the Thermomix at home, he’d then take the prepared meal to work and he used the one in the office to heat it up. Extravagant, but he got a great meal prepared with fresh ingredients every day for lunch.

@ant_pruitt Herzlichen Glückwünsch zum Geburtstag nachträglich!

4 Likes

There were parts of this episode that were funny as hell. I’m glad you all could keep Ant amused throughout the show, in honor of his birthday. Also, I’ve spent the past several years decluttering our home, especially our kitchen counters. The thought of having that contraption that Leo purchased taking up the space of 4 toaster ovens made me break out in a sweat… Happy belated birthday Ant!

5 Likes

Happy belated birthday, Ant! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot, carbonga :fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass:

3 Likes

Thank you, ma’am :blush:
I appreciate ya

3 Likes

Lol at this:

Thanks for your great comment. I really enjoy the convos and interesting perspectives across the board.

5 Likes

Clever. THANKS, my man :smile::fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass:

3 Likes

It was really funny watching the chatroom during this segment. Also, Miss Stacey’s reaction was gold. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks, Patchoulifan :fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass:

3 Likes

I feel like an idiot buying the Thermomix - it sits unused on my counter glaring in silent reproach. Your message gives me hope. Maybe some day I will actually be able to use it!!! It’s pretty intimidating, though!!

4 Likes

RE: My pick of the week (my uncle)
Concert in August. Asheville, NC.

3 Likes

RE: My pick of the week (my uncle)
One of my fav tracks.

4 Likes

A thousand hearts for that one :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

hahahahahahaha! Thanks! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The word “Thermomix” conjures up thoughts of a small portable nuclear reactor for personal use. I’m going to have to “Bing” it to see what it actually is/was.

1 Like