TWiG 529: You Can't Taste the Crickets

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

3 Likes

At NYU, we observe Fall Recess. There was one year in recent memory when Fall Recess did not coincide with Columbus Day / Indigenous Peoples’ Day though… and we just went to work/class that day. Unlike CUNY which seems to observe every religious holiday under the sun, NYU just gets Labor Day, Fall Recess, Thanksgiving, and Spring Recess. There are merits to to either system: more days off vs shorter semester. I prefer the latter. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Oh boy you know I’m a little afraid of this thread because of how contentious the China topic got.

I would like to express my opinion with as much respect and without any desire to really get into any heated arguments though.

I was really disappointed with Stacey’s stance on the whole thing. She used a lot of whataboutism, and I got the idea that it didn’t matter what counter argument you could use her stance was “America is a gluttonous country with a history of predatory capitalism therefore you cannot have an opinion that’s valid”

I don’t disagree with America’s darker history and of course the crazy (and in my opinion) terrible things going on right now…how the world sees us…what this admin is doing etc…as being a pretty crappy platform to judge others from. However I really loved Leo’s take on the ideals and and virtues of what it means to believe every human deserves Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I have “We the people” tattooed over my heart and I try every day to live up to those ideals. Regardless of your countries or cultures homogeneous nature or individualism vs collective everybody deserves freedom and everyone deserves the tools to live their life comfortably and without persecution. I believe those ideals come from being a human being and they were taught to me as being part of America itself. I hope the people of Hong Kong, China, and everywhere else in the world can have that.

Okay I’m done now thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

5 Likes

The China discussion is kinda naive. Apple sells products in China and needs to follow the laws. If this would be a very small market their morals might prevail - but China is a massiv market. So the money wins and it is a logical decision. The comparison with Google is wrong. Compromising the integrity of search results hurts their product. Apple’s iPhones are basically unchanged. I have some Apple stock, so I support them to sell everywhere. As the panel kinda concluded: Companies are not people.

3 Likes

Wow. Going to have to watch that one again before I weigh in. But @Leo, I know your comment was rather off the cuff, but Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations is not about “make as much as possible.” And he also wrote The Theory of Moral Sentiments.

3 Likes

Not gonna touch the politics or philosophy, so here’s a photo from @ant_pruitt new show:

33 Likes

OMG that’s AMAZING!!! Well done @ZivZulander! :+1:

1 Like

Watched this one live - loved seeing the ups and downs of putting a show together. No wonder Jeff sounds so exasperated if he has to cope with audio problems like that! :laughing:

Seriously, though: we treat a lot of TWiT as entertainment, but in reality it’s journalism, and I enjoyed seeing the team going into the ethics of tech in the wider world and their responsibility to report on it properly. And of course they’re all professional enough to have a decent argument from differing positions without going all tribal.

6 Likes

I just like to say that unless you are living in a country for a reasonable amount of time, you would not know what is really going on there, such as the psyche of the people there. I agreed with @ant_pruitt when he described how and what he felt on the street of China when he was over there.
What you read, see, or hear in the media are often distorted, and can be presented in a very narrow kind of perspective. Sometimes, it might even be misrepresented.
What I notice is that people who have not lived in US for example, often do not know, and have a very shallow and misguided idea about the people and culture there in the States.
I believe that companies like Apple and Google are not individuals like you and me who can just express our beliefs, and stand up for it because a company is a pretty complex entity. But, I guess the people who work there can voice out if they do not agree with what their companies are doing.

2 Likes

One thing I will say about the China debate is that it is difficult for Apple, the company that states that “privacy is a human right,” to justify removing VPNs from the App Store. “It’s the law and China is a big market” doesn’t square with their stance on privacy. They seem to have no problem lecturing others on the importance of privacy. It would be nice to see them walk the walk.

3 Likes

yes this does make apple position on privacy seem like a fake one. At lease google dropped the “don’t do evil” when they changed their goals, not necessary for the better, but more honest.

2 Likes

Literally LOL’d! So incredibly perfect! :laughing:

2 Likes

Why is everyone so concerned about what people will think about an opinion? Everyone should state their opinions without worry and certainly without regard to an economic hit. If American’s think their values are better than China’s then say so.
If China thinks their values are better it’s OK for them to say so. Pretending to hide your opinions whether your afraid of hurting someone’s feelings or because of an economic consequence is wrong. Speak out against the Chinese, Americans, Houston Rockets, Google or Apple. Don’t hold back for any reason and certainly don’t do so because of a threat of retaliation.

3 Likes

Hong Kong is a part of China, and USA and other nations cannot step in to over-turn the sitting government by under-handed funding these Hong Kong rioters. How would you like it if China funded rioters in Hawaii or Puerto Rico to demand independence from the USA government?

The National Endowment for Democracy is a joke organization.

1 Like

Freakin GOLD @ZivZulander :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
You’ve made my day. THANK YOU

3 Likes

Thanks, @Clayton. That’s the key. Civil. Whether we agree or not.

Great to see you back on air today! :wink::+1::tv:

1 Like

On dark mode… does anyone else love dark mode on their phones, but not on the desktop (except for sites where I don’t have to read much)? I… have no idea why this is for me.

Also, I’m all for not tasting the crickets. Had a professor for an intro entomology class that really pushed the environmental aspect of switching to a bug protein.

1 Like

The dark mode is cool on the phone, but I would love it if I can have the option to change it on separate apps. I’m not liking dark mode on Instagram, but can’t seem to be able to change it if the system setting is set to dark mode.

2 Likes

Yeah I make all displays use a dark theme of able