TWiG 529: You Can't Taste the Crickets

If anyone will humor me re: China… Two ideas…

1. Regardless of our values, would it be fair to at least say that Chinese citizens have little to no option to be informed about their context in the world while even though the United States citizen may wrongly assert their values, their government won’t arrest or track them on the internet/restrict their movements for hating America or learning about why one might hate America?

2. Companies are not people, but companies do create an impact that will kick your ass down the line. Enjoy your Apple stock. But remember all you’re doing is not biting the hand that feeds you(for now). You’re not in power here. You’re giving power to them. The vicious cycle. Companies and people need to divest from China for the same reason they need to divest from oil. Companies (investment) are making them (oil and China) stronger and it will kill our quality of life later. It’s lucrative for now. The short term game.

What if China has a profile of everyone, including you, and in the future the US wasn’t there to protect you? How would you like them Apples?

3 Likes

@ant_pruitt I love how you always ask permission before sharing something. It’s certainly a lost art in today’s culture. I sent you a little during your move for coffee and I appreciated the shout out I received, I was also humbled that you asked for permission before sharing my profile on instagram. I actually since removed the privacy shield and made it open so the twit community could follow me if they pleased. Keep up all your great work and tell @Leo that you were one of his best hire’s in my opinion.

5 Likes

Agree that the topic is not easy although so necessary. I think we can use or spending habits to guide what companies do or not do but it is like a tugboat moving a huge ship. It takes a long time to show any change in motion.

Now, my real question is what type of vertical mouse does Stacey and the TWIT staff use? My wrist in killing me.

1 Like

I listened to your Hong Kong discussion and it seems you’re missing a major problem the companies have. For the last 30 to 40 years we have told our companies to get the price down for their products we buy. The companies did exactly as requested by their customers and now everything is made in China (very very cheap labor). Now China can do whatever it wants and our companies more or less have to abide by China’s wishes. I’m sure most companies have been told it would be ashame if you’re manufacturing plant happened to catch on fire and all of our firefighting equipment and people were unable to get to it. Or the street that leads to your manufacturing plant is totally torn up so no one could pass and stay that way for a year or two for improvements of course. Hopefully that won’t happen. And now you expect all the companies to have a moral high ground which means they all go out of business because their products are no longer available. You know it takes multi years to build manufacturing plants. Our government is in the same boat because of the trillions of dollars that we borrow every year and who do you think buy them. What do you think would happen if they said we don’t want your bonds. The reality is if you want the United States companies to have some sort of moral standing then the American people are going to have to pay a lot more for everything they buy. Guess what the American people don’t wanna hear it. We have been told we can have our cake and eat it too by the politicians for the last hundred years. Unfortunately were silly enough to believe it. And yes Stacy was correct it is all about money. It was all about money that created this country (the pore left their countries to make a better life) and nothing has changed.

4 Likes

Fantastic! This perfect!

1 Like

Phil! THANK YOU. Seriously. The support means a lot. I try to respect the privacy of folks as best I can. Watching TWiT all these years has taught me that. I appreciate the Laportes for taking a chance on me :fist_right:t4:

2 Likes

I’ve used a generic Anker one previously. Felt fine

Thanks Ant as I was looking at those.

1 Like

I have a CSL vertical mouse, cost under $20 on Amazon. I think it is pretty much the same as the Anker one that Ant uses. We’ve had both.

We also have some of the original vertical mice, which cost over $100. The cheaper ones are actually more comfortable and look more modern and professional.

2 Likes

That’s wassup. Thanks for sharing those deets

@big_D I honestly don’t know if I could get use to using a vertical mouse. I’ve had a usb Microsoft mouse that I’ve used with my laptop for years and honestly I prefer it over the mouse I use at work. I should also mention that I have a touchscreen laptop so between that and the trackpad there is really no reason that I would need a different mouse. As someone who has just heard about a vertical mouse, are the controls logical for someone who’s only ever used a standard mouse? Considering buying a cheap to see if there is love for it.

2 Likes

The controls are totally intuitive. Everything is the same except for the orientation of your hand. But if you have something that works for you, there’s no need to change. I switched because of carpal tunnel and now I won’t co back because the traditional orientation hurts after a while.

2 Likes

Another good tool to cope with carpel tunnel is a tablet. I find holding a pen quite comfortable when used as a pointing device.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::joy:
That’s great

According to a CNBC article dated 2107, the richest 209 parliament delegates are each worth more than 2 billion yuan ($300 million) – their combined wealth is equivalent to the annual GDPs of Belgium and Sweden, using World Bank figures on GDP for those countries.

By comparison, the U.S. doesn’t have a single billionaire in Congress. The wealthiest member, California Republican Darrell Issa, is worth around $440 million, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

So with decision makers having that amount of wealth, does anyone really think anything is going to change when it comes to people doing business there? These people also have the financial backing to squash anything that they consider to be a nuisance.