TTG 1893 for Saturday 14 May 2022

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

A viewer had called in about not being able to get the full bandwidth of his new gigabit connection on his iPhone 12 Pro over WiFi. Leo and his co-host thought it wasn’t possible as there’s possibly some hardware type of limitation restricting full bandwidth usage over WiFi. They went on to show the speeds they were able to get in studio. The limitation is actually just a setting in the WiFi router 5G radio band.

A little tweak and you should get speeds like mine below on an iPhone 12 Pro.

Interesting. What is the setting?

Don’t know if Micah’s comments about the iPhone’s Private Wi-Fi Address settings in terms of internet speed is opening a can of worms or opening Pandora’s box.

Further exploring came up with some other “surprises” being provided by Apple.

1. Under Wi-Fi settings “i” is Private Wi-Fi Address on iPhone
  2. Under iCloud settings is Private Relay (Beta) on iPhone and Mac
  3. Under iCloud settings is Hide My Email on iPhone
  4. Under Network on Mac Preferences is Limit IP Address Tracking

Probably need Steve Gibson to weigh in, because it’s too complicated for me.

Use of these settings is hurting my head. Some result in ipv4 and ipv6 addresses related to server in large major city (Sydney), or just local ipv4 address located at home. Some affect Safari only, others affect all browsers. Some affect wi-fi only, others affect wi-fi and mobile data. And the Hide my Email is related to specific apps that I don’t remember configuring to something I have no idea about.

And, some affect data speed.

So we now have an Apple provided VPN by default. And since it affects data speed, who is responsible if speed is below what ISP advertises?

Moderator Edit:
OP posted this twice, second post is here:

Looking at the WiFi capability’s for the iPhone’s here

Looks like you’d need a WiFi 6 router/AP set for 80 MHz channel width and be close enough to get the highest PHY data rate to get that sort of speed.

Based on my experience with a WiFi 5 AP at 80 MHz you can get a little over 500 Mbit and about half that at 40 MHz on an iPhone. They are mostly limited in speed by only having 2 antennas/supporting 2 spatial streams.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: A listener disagrees with Leo about rich white privilege

Yeah I totally agree that getting 1gbit on a mobile device makes no sense. I have 1gbit fiber but have my AP’s set for 40MHz because I live in an apartment building and besides not really needing all that speed on the devices that are on WiFi I don’t want to be using up most of the available spectrum. All the things that need/can use that speed are wired.

But there are some people that say well I’m paying for 1gbit service all my devices should be able to use it.

Hey Leo, I am a long time 71 yr old listener who loves your shows & have watched & listened since the beginning. For the 1st time in 20+ yrs ( Screensavers) I got a sour taste in my mouth. You & your guest rants on Musk just felt wrong and out of place. I get your from Cal & we all have our views, but your listeners would like a break from all the *divisiveness in the world.

Well presumably you’re not out of touch BECAUSE you listen to Leo. He brings you the tech news, even when it’s not good news. I don’t think it serves anyone to candy coat bad news and make it seem like everything in the world is wonderful. Musk is doing some serious damage to Twitter and his own companies (thus the reason why their stock values are all falling precipitously) and this is technology news people need to know. If you’re a Musk fanboi (fangrandpa?) then I guess what he’s doing should be making you a little upset… but hopefully you’re not financially invested in him as he gives the appearance of slowly going [financially] insane.

As I said, I have been a longtime fan going back to Kevin Rose & John C. Along with having been a Radio Shack Mgr in the days when we first came out with cassette-based pc and was one of the 1st to have a computer Dept along with a computer salesman in Fl. While I agree on a bit, we have many places to get op-ed pieces along with constant shouting about your wrong - no your wrong. I have read every single book I can about tech both from the founders of the pc movement etc, but this rant was about how Musk was crooked, evil and all about the purchase vs the platform.

Well unless you’re a paid shill, it is evidently true that Musk is breaking [securities] laws and killing people [by pretending like his self-driving software is any kind of quality.] I suggest you go somewhere else if you want to pretend like he’s innocent and should be lauded for it. Since he is such a showboat, he has become the news… if you don’t want to hear news about him, then you should probably cover your ears when this topic comes up, because he WANTS to be the topic of the news.